cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wire Wrapping...How to???

wish-a-bead
Enthusiast
I have some unused (actually never been used) DS (Dead Soft) 24 Gauge Fine Silver Wire. I originally bought it thinking it was what I needed for making earrings (I bought both Dead Soft and Half Hard). Now I have realized that the HH is what I like and prefer. So, my questions are this: What do you use DS wire for? And I'm wondering if I can resell the package of the unopened wire.
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

*basketballmom*
Enthusiast
I am sure that someone who knows a whole lot more will come by later, but I believe that the dead soft is what is used for wrapping stones or spirals designs. Sorry, not much help. Hope
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

wish-a-bead
Enthusiast
Thanks! That's okay...I would like everyone's opinion here...not just the 'experts' 😉
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

crowbirdiebeads
Enthusiast
Ooh - I wanna know too! I'm trying to figure out how to create a wire bail for an oval bead, so it hangs horizontally and has a loop to go on a chain. But I need to buy more silver wire and don't know what kind to get.
Crowbirdie
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

rioglass
Enthusiast
Usually you would buy the Dead soft because it is not so prone to breaking if you do a lot of minipulating of it. Also, the more you manipulate it, the stronger it gets...up to a point. It would work nice for bails and cab wrapping if you are going to use more than one strand of it. 24 gauge is pretty small...wouldn't use it for rings but enough of twisted together would do for bracelets too. There are any number of wire wrapping tutorials out there, check 'em out!!
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

captelaine_1
Enthusiast
Since it's a commercial site I can't put a link here but anyone interested can google lapidary journal on-line, they have lots of free tutorials. One that they have for a ring shows that small guage wire is used to wrap the shank of the ring and the larger wire that actually holds the stone. Put the wire up for auction I'm sure you could sell it on eBay... weigh it, silver wire from Rio is priced around $11 for 1 oz... some others charge less per oz. They probably have some tuts for wrapping that cab as well. Capt Elaine
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

silvermaille
Enthusiast
I haven't used dead soft, I don't think. The pieces I've seen it used successfully for is 14 or 16 gauge wire wrapped loops. Though I use half hard for most of the wirewrapping I do the dead soft may also be good for pendant pieces (especially ornate ones) that don't have holes. I'd like to try it.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

crowbirdiebeads
Enthusiast
I found a really nice little tutorial for wire-wrapping a briolet pendant, that seemed to fit several other things as well. It's not a complex wrap or anything, but it turns out quite pretty. I found it by doing a Google search for "free wire wrap tutorial" (and now I've promptly lost the link)
Crowbirdie
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Oh that wld be so nice. I'd to try doing that. I have a bracelet all done in silver wire wrapped nugget sized stones that's awesome. I'd love to make one myself!
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

wish-a-bead
Enthusiast
Thanks so much for all your comments. I went ahead and sold the package since I'd never opened it. Got a good price for it too. 😉 But thanks for everyones input! 😉
Message 10 of 10
latest reply