cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

seller attempts to save themselves from Free shipping and returns

QUESTIONS:

1.  Is there an ebay policy violation if a seller lists an item as " Free shipping and returns", but tried to get you to agree to less?

2. If the answer is "yes", where/how do I report the incident?  I do not see any category for reporting this.

BACKGROUND:

I had a seller attempt to save themselves from Free shipping and returns.  Specifically, they offered me (via messaging) to skip opening a case if there was an issue, and then offered less than 1/2 what I paid if I skipped returning the item.  Just to be clear, the item for sale was labeled " Free shipping and returns", I had a legitimate reason for returning, and I responded within the return window (within an hour of receiving, actually).  I am not asking what I should do.  I returned the item immediately for full refund with ebay pre-paid shipping label.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: seller attempts to save themselves from Free shipping and returns

Thanks for the replies.  I understand.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@jon_id 

It is Ok for a seller to offer you a partial refund to keep the item, just like a buyer can ask for a partial refund instead of returning an item. Unless he made some type of threat with the offer, I don’t think it violates any policy.

He can offer a partial through a return request that you open, so asking you not to open a return sounds more like he is trying to reduce his return request rate. Sellers are measure on returns and can be charged higher fees if returns are excessive.

wooden_flower Volunteer Community Mentor.
eBay member since 2001.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I understand the flexibility.  It's just lightly odd because I can accept the "offer" and get (for example) $5, or reject it, and get $12 with advertised return, when all is said and done.  Not much of an offer, though in a rare case might depend on any utility of the item (if kept), or inconvenience in returning.  In the worst case, someone might accept the "offer" before fully understanding the options.  Unless there is an official notification to the contrary, I will assume the policy is as you said.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@jon_id 

I think it depends on what is wrong with the item.  If it is defective, only a full refund will do.  If it is the wrong color, the discount might make the color acceptable 😁

wooden_flower Volunteer Community Mentor.
eBay member since 2001.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thanks for the replies.  I understand.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply