cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how long to ship after a purchase

Bought an item on Saturday, seller didn't even print a shipping label until today Thursday!  Is there a set time the seller should ship after a purchase unless they state otherwise which he did not?  I have to pay within a set time frame after winning a bid, does he have a set time for shipping?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: how long to ship after a purchase

Yes I read your reply. You said it may appear and I just stated that on this listing it did not appear. It also says that it takes into account the handling time and the mailing time so that's two different things which make up when the item should arrive. I'm just going to go ahead and wait to see if the seller even gets back with me in regards to my question to him. Thanks everyone for all your help for now I'm just going to mark this resolved

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

The estimated delivery date given on your purchase is what ebay goes by.

Has that date passed yet?

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

No, it shows as March 14-March 17.  Never really noticed that before but can't believe a seller could hold an item that long  as happened here.  I sent a message to the seller asking why the delay in printing a label and not shipping sooner.  

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

The seller does state a "handling time" to eBay for every listing, but eBay stopped displaying it on most listings (sometimes it still does, don't know how they decide), up to 30 days.  eBay keeps track of whether the seller shipped timely and downgrades those who are late too often.

In any event the handling time is included in calculating the delivery estimate (handling time plus carrier's estimate for that class of service to your zipcode) which is what you need to go by for deciding whether that is too long and which eBay goes by to determine when you can file a case (or whatever corporate-speak term they use for that now: it is 1 to 30 days after the estimate) for Item Not Received.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@ls973800 wrote:

No, it shows as March 14-March 17.  Never really noticed that before but can't believe a seller could hold an item that long  as happened here.  I sent a message to the seller asking why the delay in printing a label and not shipping sooner.  

Sellers on eBay can set the handling time for shipping their sales up to 30 days from the date of the sale. All eBay requires is that the seller ship by the number of days in their handling time and the item is delivered by the last estimated delivery date. If the estimated delivery dates don't meet your needs, you should not buy the item. If they do meet your needs, there's no reason to ask "why the delay" because there is no delay.

ALWAYS be honest and exceedingly FAIR!

The Volunteer eBay Community Mentor formerly known as juanmogamer
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Found this on the eBay selling site but nowhere on the listing for this item does it specify a handling time only the shipping information.  Sounds like handling and shipping could be two different things?  

Handling time

Sellers are required to specify how long they will take to package and ship the item after receiving cleared payment. Sellers may select a handling time between same business day and 30 business days.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Did you read my reply (# 4) which covers this and more?

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Yes I read your reply. You said it may appear and I just stated that on this listing it did not appear. It also says that it takes into account the handling time and the mailing time so that's two different things which make up when the item should arrive. I'm just going to go ahead and wait to see if the seller even gets back with me in regards to my question to him. Thanks everyone for all your help for now I'm just going to mark this resolved

Message 8 of 8
latest reply