cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay incorrectly added a large shipping fee - said my package weighed 6 times more than it really di

I've just gotten a notice that ebay was adding a large shipping fee since I used the wrong weight on my lablel. But I didn't use the wrong weight.  It was a bicycle wheel and the wheel in the box weighed 5 pounds.  the bike wheel itself might only weigh 2 pounds, and I used a box that I had just received a different wheel in, and together they weighed 5 pounds.  The wheel I purchased and had shipped to me also had a shipping weight of 5 pounds.

ebay randomly said the box weighed 30 pounds.  How do I get the charges reversed?  None of their canned help topics cover ebay mistakes...

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: eBay incorrectly added a large shipping fee - said my package weighed 6 times more than it reall

Unfortunately it is not eBay that is charging you but the shipping carrier through eBay.  You have to be careful of large items.  Any package that measurers more than one cubic foot (1,728 inches which is 12x12x12) is subject to DIM (Dimensional) weight pricing.  This means the shipper determines the shipping charge by how much room the package will take up on a truck and will charge extra for items more than one cubic foot.  This fee depends on the shipper and can be very high.

You can contact eBay customer service to see if they can do something for you but do not hold your breath since it is the shipper charging you and not eBay.

You can contact customer service using this link to ask for a call back:   https://www.ebay.com/help/contact_us?id=4191&st=10    Please note that if the wait time for a call back is too long eBay will remove the option until the wait time is shorter.  Just try again later.  Customer service is open from 5am to 9pm Pacific Time.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: eBay incorrectly added a large shipping fee - said my package weighed 6 times more than it reall

Unfortunately it is not eBay that is charging you but the shipping carrier through eBay.  You have to be careful of large items.  Any package that measurers more than one cubic foot (1,728 inches which is 12x12x12) is subject to DIM (Dimensional) weight pricing.  This means the shipper determines the shipping charge by how much room the package will take up on a truck and will charge extra for items more than one cubic foot.  This fee depends on the shipper and can be very high.

You can contact eBay customer service to see if they can do something for you but do not hold your breath since it is the shipper charging you and not eBay.

You can contact customer service using this link to ask for a call back:   https://www.ebay.com/help/contact_us?id=4191&st=10    Please note that if the wait time for a call back is too long eBay will remove the option until the wait time is shorter.  Just try again later.  Customer service is open from 5am to 9pm Pacific Time.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

The dimensions were also accurate, and eBay is the company charging me, so I do think they have a responsibility.  

They posted a notice saying that they had an issue with charging inappropriate fees, so hopefully this will get resolved.  Very disappointing so far as their 'contact us' links all go to FAQ or a chat window that is machine-driven and completely useless.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I tried the link - and for me, that just goes to a page with links to some self-help articles, none of which deal with what happens if eBay charges me for incorrect shipping fees.  Where do I find a way to get a call back?

Message 4 of 4
latest reply