cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Calculator and Dimensional Weight - HELP!

I have a package to ship that is 24 in. x 25 in. x 14 in. that will weigh 15 lbs.

I am shipping from Zip Code 23456 to Zip Code 11234

According to both the eBay Shipping Calculator AND eBay's "Ship your order" webpage, the calculated rates are the following:

FedEx eBay Rate is $24.43.

UPS Ground eBay Rate is $26.55.

Can I trust that these rates will stick (has dimensional weight already been factored into the calculators), or can I expect to be up-charged?

Regards,

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: eBay Calculator and Dimensional Weight - HELP!

Dimensional weight is already in eBay's calculations because the retail rates match those of the carrier websites.

The numbers on the USPS website match those of eBay's calculator (there is no discount for ground packages). The package suffers from dimensional weight and oversize (longer than 22 inches). $85.20 for USPS Retail Ground.

Fedex Ground shows a public rate of $49.22, which matches eBay's calculator.  My account shows a commercial rate of $40.88. eBay probably receives a deep discount.

UPS shows a billable (dimensional) weight of 61 pounds to zone 3 at a cost of $37.91, which is not a retail rate (not sure what that is). eBay shows a retail rate of $48.23.  My account shows a commercial rate of $37.28.  Again, eBay probably has a deeper discount.

If using calculated shipping, you might want to add a handling charge, just in case the package bulges a little.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thank you!

How much of a handling charge would you recommend?  I am assuming what it is you are saying is that if the package bulges, it would change the dimensions.

I have delivered the package for shipping and will see what I am actually charged. 

It will be interesting

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@computer-girl wrote:

... I am assuming what it is you are saying is that if the package bulges, it would change the dimensions.

If you are listing the item for sale, then, yes, I would add $5 just in case there is a backbill from the carrier (through your eBay account) for a dimensional increase or some other unknown increase. It would mitigate the extra charge somewhat. If you have enough profit in your item, then you could absorb any backbill.

If this is a post-sale shipment that has already been paid, then there is nothing to do but ship the item based on the best rates.  We seem to see more "erroneous" backbilling from Fedex on the forums than from the other carriers (members suggest that two items might get weighed/measured as one while going through the scanners).

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

With both FedEx and UPS, the price Ebay shows is only an estimate and the final charge could be more.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 5
latest reply