cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is ebay taking money from my bank for shipping?

ebay has started taking money from my account for shipping instead of the funds that are paid by the buyer. How do I know I'm not being ripped off? 5 star seller with no holds.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Why is ebay taking money from my bank for shipping?

There are only 2 options - your funds or paypal.  If your bank is being charged, it must be coming through paypal.  Next label you print, check the 'how to pay' selection - it may have changed to paypal.  I have seen a few other reports of this.

You can trace your label purchases through paypal, or through your label history page.

wooden_flower Volunteer Community Mentor.
eBay member since 2001.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

It is on my funds, never changed. On my bank account I am now getting transaction messages of ebay auto deduct from your funds and the money is coming out of my account. Nothing through paypal. ebay was much better years ago

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Besides your bank account, do you have an alternative payment method, like a credit card card, on your ebay account?  If not and your available ebay funds are not enough, then it will take it from your bank.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I got my answer, a very poor one. They are now taking the shipping cost from my account because I have no "funds". What happens is the funds are immediately released as soon as I print the label. Which is not true because it takes at least 24 hours before the funds are released, then another 3 days for it to be pending in my bank account. It was a long discussion with an assistant. Basically I said it like paying my boss to work and hope I get it back at the end of the week.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

As I posted that is what is happening.  If you do not wanting ebay dipping into your bank account, add a credit card, which typically gives you extra time to pay and can have a cash back option.

Personally I have all my shipping charges go to a credit card through PayPal that offers up to 5% cash back.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

You can see below, I got my answer, and it's not a good one. There is never not enough funds, buyer pays shipping. Issue is they "release" my payment now as soon as I print the label. So in essence I pay the shipping and now I get the money, pending, back in my account 4 days later. It's crap, all they have to do is deduct from my funds the shipping label cost then release the rest immediately. If you can see this scenario, to be a good seller and offer 1 day handling. I sell a bunch of items in one day and ship them out. Now I have a big chunk coming out of my bank account that won't be put back until at least 3 more days. I'm not rich, what if I have bills to pay and now I have to put them off or risk an overdraft and more fees. Corporate America at work here.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Yes I understand, but by having these charges go to a credit card can help.  Then your payment is delayed until the funds clear, you can get cash back of anywhere from 1%-5%, and you don't have to worry about your bank account falling short, as you control when you pay.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Missing the point, glad it works for you. It was much better years ago when I did go through paypal and you got all the funds immediately. Point is, they should not be taking it from my account at all. Don't have a credit card, don't want one, just delaying the pay back. Nice you get some back, but here's another little tid bit. Even at 5% you are only getting back maybe half of what ebay takes back because you pay their fee on the shipping cost too. They like to boast their discount, but you can get the same discount from USPS online or paypal ship it.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

No, I get the point, and I agree with you, things just don't work like they use to, and worse it is always to our disadvantage. 

To me even 1% in my pocket is better that adding it to theirs.

PayPal will give you the same discount, but USPS online no longer gives much if any discount.  PirateShip is probably the best deal for USPS and UPS, and offers services neither ebay or PayPal have that can save even more on shipping.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for the Pirate tip, I will check that out.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply