cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to understand how selling works now

I had sold on ebay for years, just stuff around the house not as a business or anything.  But I really didn't have anything to sell for years.  Now I had a couple items to sell, and so I sold one and saw that paypal is no longer an option to get paid.  So before where everything was quick and seamless for payment and you could get the item shipped out quick, I found when I sold my first item, the person paid, the next day, then it said in 2 days I would actually get the money.

So 2 days go by and the money is put into my checking account.  I then shipped the item after that.

Now I sold something on Dec 10, couple days later it said buyer paid but funds were on hold until dec 27.  So i waited till yesterday, but the funds never went into my checking account.  I checked today and still the funds are on hold.  Checking this persons feedback there are a lot on entries about this person not paying, or funds not going through.  I have been told that the funds will not go through until i ship the item with tracking.

the issue is, what if the funds from this person never clear?  The previous item I sold I did not have to ship for the funds to clear into my account so I knew that I actually had the funds and so I could then ship.  Now it's supposedly different?  This is a decently priced item for me to just loose and get scammed on.  How can I protect myself here?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Trying to understand how selling works now

Hi @finkbrothers1 

On your Seller Hub Orders tile there is a line for "Awaiting payment" (orange arrow) and "Awaiting shipment - print shipping label" (green arrow).  If you have not been paid it will be on the Awaiting payment line.

Screenshot (4206).png

You mentioned the 2nd sale was higher value, well at or above $ 1,000 eBay will hold the money longer but you still have to ship within your Handling time or risk a late shipping defect or if you wait long enough the Buyer can file an Item not received claim because they did not receive the item with in the estimated delivery period ... if that happens you have to refund them if the item does not arrive within 4 days or you have no valid tracking number to show it is on its way.

There will be many times where Buyers pay through eBay and it will take some time for them to send the money to your checking account BUT in the meantime you have to ship the items ...

I have my Payouts from eBay set for Weekly so once a week they send the money earned on sales from the previous week ... that cuts down on bookkeeping meaning I make one entry per week in my checking account dedicated to eBay sales.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Trying to understand how selling works now

ok, so if ebay says hte buyer paid I can be confident that the funds will go through?  The final sale price was around $170.

I just don't want to ship the item and then the funds never clear into my account.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply