cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sold a FCC certified broadcast transmitter, buyer claimed it did not work, I refunded, not returned

I sold a perfectly working FCC certified FM broadcast transmitter to a LPFM licensee, he received it, appeared to ask to a discount, then claimed that it was defective. I provided photos showing meter readings of all modes in the listing, it was bench tested for hours and well packaged. So, I refunded the seller completely right away and wrote to him several times asking him to provide me the cost to ship it back, as it was nearly a $300 purchase. I called him as well. I want to pay the return postage. It is a month later. He continues to keep my transmitter.  Should I file a police report? Unfortunately I left this seller a stellar feedback because he did pay as promised.  This is the first buyer to do this in over 24 years.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Sold a FCC certified broadcast transmitter, buyer claimed it did not work, I refunded, not returned

@cgradioguy wrote:

No, I did not see how to do that, I very rarely do a refund.

@cgradioguy 

The buyer would have had to have filed a Return Request due to the item being defective.

Then you would have approved the return & provided a prepaid return shipping label.

When you received the returned item, THEN you would have issued the refund.

Read this > https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handle-return-request-seller?id=4115

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@cgradioguy 

You refunded too soon. Sellers are supposed to wait until they receive the returned item before issuing a refund.

Since you refunded already, the buyer is not required to return the item.

Did you send the buyer a prepaid return shipping label in case they choose to return it?

*lady*madonna*

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

No, I am so new to refunds, I may have only done one in 24 years

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@cgradioguy wrote:

@cgradioguy 

The buyer would have had to have filed a Return Request due to the item being defective.

Then you would have approved the return & provided a prepaid return shipping label.

When you received the returned item, THEN you would have issued the refund.

Read this > https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handle-return-request-seller?id=4115

*lady*madonna*

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I guess my mistake, he keeps my transmitter… He knows that I want to fund him to ship it back yet chooses to keep it.  Not very honest, especially when I asked to pay him to return it.  Lesson learned.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply