cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping Question: Can you use the free USPS priority mail boxes to ship first class?

I've been selling on Ebay for almost two months using the free boxes that you can get from USPS to ship "First Class 3-5 day"  I encountered an issue when I sent a package from California to Texas, the buyer was saying that USPS would not release the item to them unless they paid an additional $9.99  because of using the "priority mail box" (free boxes from USPS) for a First Class shipping.  The item is under 13 oz and I haven't encountered any problems like this so far.  I called Ebay customer service and the representative told me everything should be fine just give them the option of filing a return or keeping the product.  I kept telling the representative that USPS wont release the item to them unless an additional 9.99 is paid.  Ebay told me that shouldn't be the case. I'm getting conflicting answers.  I don't usually do returns since I'm selling my collection off to pay the bills but i filed a return for the customer in this case.  

So my question is has any seller encountered and issue with using the USPS free boxes for shipping First Class 3-5days delivery? 

Or is this person just regretting their purchase and just wants to return the item for a refund?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Shipping Question: Can you use the free USPS priority mail boxes to ship first class?

@jcwrestler   Your buyer is telling you the truth. USPS Priority Mail branded boxes can only be used for Priority Mail, never for First Class (or any other service). You've been very lucky that USPS hasn't caught you before now. 

Send the buyer a refund to cover the extra cost being rightfully charged by USPS.

tree*fern
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Re: Shipping Question: Can you use the free USPS priority mail boxes to ship first class?

If your buyer doesn't pick up the package, it will likely be returned to you.

First Class Mail is not the same service as Priority Mail. Nothing is free. The cost of the Priority Mail packaging is embedded into the cost of the postage.

It states right on the packaging:

This packaging is the property of the U.S. Postal Service® and is provided solely for use in sending Priority Mail® shipments. Misuses may be in violation of federal law.

Inceptions
Volunteer Community Mentor, buying and selling on eBay since 2004

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for the definitive answer.  I've been looking on the Internet, and even spoke to Ebay customer service representative and couldn't find a solid answer to this.  Even trying to find an answer on Youtube.  I'm new to selling and I thought that we could use these free boxes to ship first class.  Ok, a lot to fix now that I know. Thank you.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

You're welcome!

Inceptions

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

The buyer told me that there needed to be an additional $9.99 paid to receive the item and asked me to send the money directly to resolve it.  A note was left at his door instead of the package saying that.  I've been using these free Priority Mail boxes to ship first class for the past two months and this is first time having an with a customer receiving a product.  I didn't know until today that you couldn't use these boxes to ship first class. Now I'm worried about the last couple of shipments I made.  A lot to fix now.  And customer service didn't understand my situation either saying that I did everything right and just process a refund for the customer.  Thanks for the reply.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

eBay support should be well-versed on eBay policies, but not on USPS policies. Many of them have never shipped a package.

When you purchase your label through eBay, what usually happens is that USPS will send a label adjustment to eBay and your account will be charged for the discrepancy. That may happen with the others that were packaged incorrectly.

For this situation... Check tracking first. If tracking confirms the package is waiting due to this underpayment, you could then just send them the money through PayPal if you both have a PayPal account. In that case, you'll need the buyer's PayPal email address (which is OK to ask for and receive through messaging as you're in a recent transaction).

Inceptions

Message 7 of 7
latest reply