cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Fraud With Overseas Buyers

I recently sold two items. I specified on my listing that I only ship to U.S. address. Well the first item was sold by a buyer based in Italy. However they provided a U.S. address with their name and then a "c/o" name. 
Since it was a U.S. address, I went a head and sent.
Well today I sold a 2nd item. This was from a different buyer. However I see they are also based in Italy and providing the exact U.S. shipping address and the same "c/o" name. 
Red flags went off. Could this be fraud? Or should I not be concerned?
Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Possible Fraud With Overseas Buyers

As long as the address you are shipping to is the one given at checkout you should be OK.*  There are commercial forwarding services that are perfectly legal for a buyer to use, and your obligation is to get the item there as described; forwarding it voids the buyer's Money Back Guarantee.

*ETA:  Other than likely being charged a higher Final Value Fee because the payment came from another country.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thank you. I checked out the address on google maps. It's just a private house in Indiana and not a business. Hopefully all will be OK and if something isn't right, I'll be covered under ebay guarantee. I was almost burned once before by shipping to an empty house (used an address ebay provided).  Fortunately I had a signature confirmation, so they couldn't pick up the package and it was returned to me. I appreciate your quick reply!

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

It's probably a freight forwarder which a lot of International buyers use.

The C/O name could be the International destination code, so they know what country it's going to.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@stevemojo007 wrote:

. . .I was almost burned once before by shipping to an empty house (used an address ebay provided).  Fortunately I had a signature confirmation, so they couldn't pick up the package and it was returned to me. . . .

Even if it was left on the porch and stolen, you are protected.  Neither sellers nor eBay are responsible for what happens after the item is "delivered" to the given shipping address by the carrier.  (On the other hand if the carrier accidentally delivers to a different address the MBG coverers it if the buyer can prove that by it showing delivery to a different zipcode or the carrier documenting that it was delivered to a different address--eg GPS at the time of the scan shows the carrier wasn't at the right address).

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Interesting. Thank you for the information.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Great news. I can't afford to lose a sale so it's nice to know I'm covered. Thank you.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply