cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal Name of Corporation owner included in each international listing

We are a USA corporation.  We list and sell exclusively on international markets (our deal with the manufacturer precludes us from selling/shipping to .com buyers).  My problem is that in all our international listings, the name of the owner of the majority of the company shares appears in each listing.  Other international sellers don’t have this issue—only the company name appears.  It seems that this is an issue because we are a US company.  International companies can avoid this issue somehow.  If anyone else has found a solution to this problem, we would appreciate input.  It doesn’t seem appropriate that eBay provides information that would allow the customer to show up (at the office or even at his home) and confront the owner directly.  There is a reason we pay for being an Ltd/Inc.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Personal Name of Corporation owner included in each international listing

@alpenksg 

Have you spoken to anyone within eBay about this - it's unlikely members here will have experience with this.

U.S. Community Volunteer

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Yes, I  called and after 3 pass ons, no one could help.  The last one said she opened a case, but I never heard back and it's been a month.  I'll try again.  I would think there are many US corporations listing in Europe.  I posted here hoping that one of them had/has the same issue.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

velvet@ebay   tyler@ebay 

Any suggestion where they can go to get a solid answer on this?

U.S. Community Volunteer

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@ferncliff-39 wrote:

velvet@ebay   tyler@ebay 

Any suggestion where they can go to get a solid answer on this?

Thanks for the tag @ferncliff-39!

There's a great post on the UK Community that can be found here @alpenksg that speaks directly to this. Scroll down to the section titled, "Can I share my contact details with potential buyers?". That will give you a little background as to why that information is included, and a few suggestions, like using a different mailing address if you don't want a personal/home address to be shown.

I am curious as to what business seller listings you've come across where this info wasn't displayed on European sites though. I did a random search on the UK site and every listing I clicked into that was for a business registered account, had their information showing at the bottom of the listing. The box right below the item specifics it's just their store info. If you scroll to the very bottom of the listing then you should see the Business seller information box with the account owners registered details.  

Velvet,
eBay
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

velvet@ebay 

When I originally toggled back and forth between private and business types (back when that was possible), I was horrified to see that my UK listings had my personal info, so I changed my contact name to "Ship Script" a couple of years ago to solve that problem and match my screen name. When I log in I see "Hi Ship", which suits me fine.

When I enrolled in Managed Payments this year, I had to add all of that legal stuff, including the names and addresses of real people who don't really want their personal info out there.

eBay rejected my PO Box, which I had to change to a street address to conform to KYC requirements, but  

eBay's address checker rejected the actual business street address of 40 years as not matching the postal system (sigh), even though that is on all legal documents and bank account. So I had to use someone's home address for eBay.  When I log in, I am still addressed as "Ship" and registered to someone's home address.

When I received my Santa gift, it was addressed to "Ship Script" at that home address shown on the registration.

I started a listing on the UK site today, and it shows the corporate name (not the DBA name), followed by "Ship Script" as the contact person, and then the registered address (a home, not the business address that I was prevented from adding). All of my other addresses are different and distinct, and do not match that registered address, so we know those are not pulled for display purposes.

Since the UK listing shows "Ship Script" as the contact person, we know that eBay still has a slot for the contact person that is different than the name of a director, but it is not visible or available on the account settings page. Instead, my settings show that one of the directors must be listed as primary contact. That is one very significant point that I would like to raise. The person in charge, the contact person who can resolve all issues, is not necessarily a stakeholder, but instead, occupies a job position, like "sales manager".

Well phooey. I attempted to modify one of the address settings and now the stakeholder name is on my account instead of "Ship Script" (Not happy AT ALL!!)

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I called the UK help desk a while back.  The tried to help me but said that because we are registered in .com, they could not help me--their system is apparently different.  Here's an example.  You can see that my name appears in the address box on our listing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cadillac-Chevy-Pontiac-LSA-LS3-L99-LS7-LS9-65lb-DeatschWerks-8-Fuel-Injec...

here is one of ours

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304155499234

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

The only place I see a name (mine) is in Account Settings>Personal Info>Business Info>Stakeholder Details.  I can't change that easily.  I had to supply lots of ID information to open a business account.  Is there someplace else to enter Contact Person?  Even then, I wouldn't leave a real person's name, maybe something like you used.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@shipscript wrote:

velvet@ebay 

When I originally toggled back and forth between private and business types (back when that was possible), I was horrified to see that my UK listings had my personal info, so I changed my contact name to "Ship Script" a couple of years ago to solve that problem and match my screen name. When I log in I see "Hi Ship", which suits me fine.

When I enrolled in Managed Payments this year, I had to add all of that legal stuff, including the names and addresses of real people who don't really want their personal info out there.

eBay rejected my PO Box, which I had to change to a street address to conform to KYC requirements, but  

eBay's address checker rejected the actual business street address of 40 years as not matching the postal system (sigh), even though that is on all legal documents and bank account. So I had to use someone's home address for eBay.  When I log in, I am still addressed as "Ship" and registered to someone's home address.

When I received my Santa gift, it was addressed to "Ship Script" at that home address shown on the registration.

I started a listing on the UK site today, and it shows the corporate name (not the DBA name), followed by "Ship Script" as the contact person, and then the registered address (a home, not the business address that I was prevented from adding). All of my other addresses are different and distinct, and do not match that registered address, so we know those are not pulled for display purposes.

Since the UK listing shows "Ship Script" as the contact person, we know that eBay still has a slot for the contact person that is different than the name of a director, but it is not visible or available on the account settings page. Instead, my settings show that one of the directors must be listed as primary contact. That is one very significant point that I would like to raise. The person in charge, the contact person who can resolve all issues, is not necessarily a stakeholder, but instead, occupies a job position, like "sales manager".

Well phooey. I attempted to modify one of the address settings and now the stakeholder name is on my account instead of "Ship Script" (Not happy AT ALL!!)

I understand your concern @shipscript and I'll reach out to the UK Community team to see if we can get any advice or feedback as to how you can best set up your account to remain within policy (considering payments), while not showing more personal information than you'd like to share in your listings.

I'm not certain as to when I'll hear back as many are out for the holidays already, but I'll follow-up with you once I have information to share. Thanks!

Velvet,
eBay
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

velvet@ebay 

I didn't want you to miss the example that @alpenksg  posted.

A UK listing with no personal name

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112419211106

A US listing with a personal name

I think we may need a contact name field that is separate from the stakeholder name. Obviously we have it somewhere or my old name would not have persisted, despite a different name as a stakeholder. Does the UK have a separate contact name field?

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

minor point.  The alpenksg listing is in DE, not UK.  But the point is still valid.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@shipscript wrote:

velvet@ebay 

I didn't want you to miss the example that @alpenksg  posted.

A UK listing with no personal name

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112419211106

A US listing with a personal name

I think we may need a contact name field that is separate from the stakeholder name. Obviously we have it somewhere or my old name would not have persisted, despite a different name as a stakeholder. Does the UK have a separate contact name field?

I did miss that, so thank you for calling it out. I see one listing (with the name) was listed on the German site, while the other listing (w/o the name) was listed on the UK site. I played around on my own account though, and when I try to create a listing on both the UK and DE sites, it wants to include my registered name under the name I entered for my Business name in the Business details of my account.

Both you @shipscript and you @alpenksg mentioned having stakeholder as part of your Business info though, and I don't. My account is set up to be a Sole Proprietor. I'm trying to figure out if that makes some kind of difference as it's not hard for me to edit my Business details section.

While I'm working to find out how this works exactly, will one of you send me a screen shot (personal info omitted) of your Business details section, similar to what I'm including below? That way I can bring that up as well and see if different Business types may affects things. Thank you!

velvetebay_0-1640892431266.png

Velvet,
eBay
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

velvet@ebay 

Here is what a corporation looks like.

account_settings_corp2.jpg

And this is the editing page for the stakeholder

account_settings_stakeholder2.jpg

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@shipscript wrote:

velvet@ebay 

Here is what a corporation looks like.

account_settings_corp2.jpg

And this is the editing page for the stakeholder

account_settings_stakeholder2.jpg

This is great @shipscript, thank you! I'll follow-up here when I have more to share.

Velvet,
eBay
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Thank you Velvet.  For what it's worth, I can confirm that is what I also see.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply