cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No option to send replacement when buyer returns items.

A buyer started a return and we approved it as we do all returns. But the buyer wanted a replacement not a refund of the money. So upon return the item is fine and we bought a new label and sent out the new item the customer requested. But there is no option to use in the return screen for a reship. It only lets us refund the buyer and deduct 50% at max for in the situation it was returned damaged or used. But none of the option are that we sent a new package and allow us to retain the full amount for the return. They need to add a reshipped & refund options. So we don't have return cases open waiting for ebay to step in when its not being requested by the customer or the seller. We should be able to select resent the item and add the tracking number as proof we reshipped the item. Once the item is marked delivered again the customers case should close and they can open another case if they have a issue with the new item delivered. I feel like this new update would save a lot of people time and make the return process more complete. Because even though i have sent another item my hands are tied and i cant do anything to move the process forward myself. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: No option to send replacement when buyer returns items.

@jaad_6732 

How to offer a replacement or exchange item

1. Go to your Returns dashboard - opens in new window or tab.
  2. Select View return details beside the item.
  3. Select Send the buyer a message and then Continue.
  4. On the next page, enter your offer to replace or exchange the item and select Send.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handle-return-request-seller?id=4115

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Can it be changed to a exchange after being approved as a return? Because I have it setup to automatically arove returns when requested by buyers for almost every reason. So I don't have the opportunity to choose a option prior to it being approved. This time I just messaged the customer and they closed the return once the new item was delivered. My biggest worry is running into a dishonest person who intentionally leaves it open and ebay refunding it after a new item was already sent. Because I believe ebay will normally issue a refund if the seller doesn't manually give a refund within so many days after the item is marked returned by tracking. Will ebay automatically withhold the refund if another label is purchased and a new tracking number shows a package mailed to the customer? Maybe im over thinking this but I think there is a lot of details not made clear in the returns help section. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

This is the help page about return options.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handling-return-requests/setting-return-p...

Near the bottom are two easy options for contacting Customer Service.

Choose for chat if you are not sure that your phone accepts calls from unknown callers. But wait until 5AM PT.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

i have read all of the help sections and normally contact ebay for these issues but I think it needs to be streamlined so we can do it in just a few button presses. We need our return process to be clear, fast and convenient but most of all simple for the seller and customer. The way it is now is inefficient and costing sellers money and time. Calling a ebay rep is always my last resort because everytime I call them my sales get cut for 24 to 48 hrs.  

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I'll ask assistance.

@wooden_flower  Do you have a brilliant idea for this seller? Thanks a lot... 🌷

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@twinkling.smileunfortunately, I do not have a good solution 😞

@jaad_6732  eBay's system does not handle replacements/exchanges well at all.  It does work better when you ship the new item before receiving the return - then you can ask the buyer to close the return as soon as he receives the new item, and you get it completed before the return arrives.

Asking the buyer to trust you and close the return is the only way to close out the return before he has the new item in hand.  If you are already within the 2 day refund window, you could ask customer service to delay the resolution date by a week to allow time for delivery.  Then the buyer can close the return and you don't have to refund. CS can see the messages between you and the buyer.

Otherwise, you are stuck issuing a refund, then setting up a way for the buyer to repay the refund.

To speak to customer service, use the link and instructions on this page to work through the automated assistant to get a call back -
 https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851

I don't think you'll see any replacement option added to the return process anytime soon.  We generally tell buyers to return for a refund, then make a new purchase, since that is a cleaner process.

wooden_flower Volunteer Community Mentor.
eBay member since 2001.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@wooden_flower 

I'm very happy with your reply.

Thanks!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply