cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item returned to seller by USPS

Sold an item, printed ebay label, sent thru USPS. Item returned to me by USPS with tracking labels stating Non-deliverable due to unknown person. (took 24 days for whole process). I contacted the buyer telling him about the return. I instructed him to open up lost item. He only sent me his address. A totally different state!

I contacted ebay about this, they instructed me to open a case, however directions say buyer needs to open the case. I emailed the buyer with step by step instructions to open up a ticket for investigation. 

Nothing.

What do I do now? I'm hot a dishonest person, but I can't get the buyer to act. Not sure if ebay sent me the incorrect label or is it the buyers fault for moving & not contacting ebay. Any ideas? Many thanks....

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Go to

Seller Hub > Orders > Paid & shipped

Locate the item, click on the Order Details.  Look at the buyer's SHIP TO address.  I would then use the CONTACT BUYER link to confirm the buyer's address.  Buyers are supposed to keep their SHIP TO address updated and current.  If that address is NOT the buyer's current address, the buyer needs to repay shipping if s/he still wants the item.  If not, you can refund item price only.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I don't know what kind of cases the 2 of you are try to open.

The item is not lost you have it.

If he wants the item he will need to send you funds to cover the new postage. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

But eBay says that the buyer needs to open a request/question first. Frustrated over the online assistance, I called ebay. That was the answer I got. They said nothing could be done until buyer initiates the action. I even asked if the address was incorrect on their end or on the buyer. I was told that they are not allowed to look up buyer info unless its part of investigation which buyer needs to initiate! Unreal.....Its not MY mistake, I shipped out with the label given....so someone needs to pay shipping...Thank you for your help

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@beedees192 wrote:

I shipped out with the label given....so someone needs to pay shipping...Thank you for your help

Hi @beedees192 

You are allowed to deduct the original shipping cost the buyer paid you when you refund them.  If the buyer wants the item 'reshipped' ... then they will have to pay for it ... assuming you are willing to continue dealing with the buyer.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Go to

Seller Hub > Orders > Paid & shipped

Locate the item, click on the Order Details.  Look at the buyer's SHIP TO address.  I would then use the CONTACT BUYER link to confirm the buyer's address.  Buyers are supposed to keep their SHIP TO address updated and current.  If that address is NOT the buyer's current address, the buyer needs to repay shipping if s/he still wants the item.  If not, you can refund item price only.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Good information. I'll give it a shot.

I appreciate the time you took to assist me

Take care

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Great info

Thank you for your time. 

Happy selling!

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I appreciate the time you gave in assisting me with a solution.

Take care

Happy Selling

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@beedees192 

Late to the game here, just putting in my 2 cents.

I would cancel the transaction, refund, relist and then the buyer can repurchase using the correct shipping address.

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 9 of 9
latest reply