cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Income taxes

I have been on ebay for many, many years now.  Most of my ebay sales are charity sales...all receipts go to a charity.  I have never paid any income tax on these sales.  Should I be paying income tax?

Ray

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Income taxes

@dadswarehouse 

Wow, that is a mixed bag to deal with.

I would keep a spreadsheet, or print out reports from eBay where you can separate the sales between what the charity gave you to sell, and the items of your own that you sold. For the stuff from the charity, call the net from eBay your cost - basically they are consigning the item to you to sell, you are taking 0 markup. So the entire net amount gets paid to your consignee, which makes it your cost.

For the stuff of your own, try to create a value.  If you have old receipts, or if you bought on eBay where you can get a report of the costs, that is the best. Next best will be an estimate.  I estimate the age, then find a similar current item, back off x years of inflation.  Not a perfect system, but reasonable. The goal is to have some documentation in case you were to get audited, which is not likely.

This is strictly for bookkeeping - I would always record the sales the same - 

One of these years, when the IRS implements the $600 threshold, you will receive a 1099k. When you get one, record it on schedule 1 as misc income, then record the same amount on schedule 1 as a misc expense so there is 0 taxable income.

Do not report anything until you receive a 1099k. You do not have to report personal sales that generate 0 profit. The IRS is thinking of using $5,000 for the threshold for 2024, but has not made that official yet.

This is my personal opinion - I am not a tax professional, so this is not tax preparation advice.

wooden_flower Volunteer Community Mentor.
eBay member since 2001.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@dadswarehouse 

You pay income tax on any profit, not on your sales amount. You should be determining if you are making a profit compared to what you paid for the item plus expenses. If you make a profit, that is taxable. Then your contribution to charity is a regular itemized deduction, if you itemize.

Where do you get the items you sell?

eBay member since 2001.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

wooden_flower
Thanks for that answer.  I suspect my situation will be quite challenging to explain to the IRS should it ever come to that.  I work as a volunteer at a non-profit that takes in both medical and non-medical donations that the organization sometimes doesn't want or need. I list these items on my ebay account and give the sales proceeds back to the organization when I sell things.  I also list things of my own as I seek to downsize my belongings and give those proceeds to the non-profit.  Anyway it would be quite the challenge to to say yes, the proceeds do come from ebay into my personal account and then go out thru the Paypal giving account and some of those things were not actually my things and some of them were and I gave the money taken in to the non-profit later.  Glad to hear any advice you might have.
Ray

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@dadswarehouse 

Wow, that is a mixed bag to deal with.

I would keep a spreadsheet, or print out reports from eBay where you can separate the sales between what the charity gave you to sell, and the items of your own that you sold. For the stuff from the charity, call the net from eBay your cost - basically they are consigning the item to you to sell, you are taking 0 markup. So the entire net amount gets paid to your consignee, which makes it your cost.

For the stuff of your own, try to create a value.  If you have old receipts, or if you bought on eBay where you can get a report of the costs, that is the best. Next best will be an estimate.  I estimate the age, then find a similar current item, back off x years of inflation.  Not a perfect system, but reasonable. The goal is to have some documentation in case you were to get audited, which is not likely.

This is strictly for bookkeeping - I would always record the sales the same - 

One of these years, when the IRS implements the $600 threshold, you will receive a 1099k. When you get one, record it on schedule 1 as misc income, then record the same amount on schedule 1 as a misc expense so there is 0 taxable income.

Do not report anything until you receive a 1099k. You do not have to report personal sales that generate 0 profit. The IRS is thinking of using $5,000 for the threshold for 2024, but has not made that official yet.

This is my personal opinion - I am not a tax professional, so this is not tax preparation advice.

eBay member since 2001.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

wooden_flower,

Thank you for taking the time to write that response.  I really appreciate it and I will start today to do the documentation for 2024.

Ray

Message 5 of 5
latest reply