cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fix a media mail shipped item for a non media package

I am new here. Made my first little sale. Go Me!

I read the articles, reviewed to helpful tips, and watched the video guide. I wanted to keep it simple for my first time. I sold a small article of clothing, as indicated in my item profile for which the buyer paid shipping. I estimated the cost before listing, just to be sure. I measured the whole package and pre-weighed the total pack at 8.2 oz. and put in all the deets on both USPS's estimator and Ebay's and priced accordingly. 

After all was said and done Ebay asked if I wanted to buy their label. In an effort streamline and make all the things easier, I did so.  Feeling good about not having to wait in line at the post office, I printed the label, slapped on the 8x8 bubble envelope and threw in the PO pick up hole.   I was not aware of "media mail". I didn't know it was a thing. Or that there are restrictions on the type of item. I didn't realize that I would be offered a type of label not qualified for my package (was the only option given). 

Is this going to be an issue? How do I fix this for my buyer? Can they just beep the label and charge my account the additional and let it go on it's way?   

Most of the other responses about media mail have been about how USPS is going to "go after the seller"  and come get me for the additional $1.50 they are owed, break my knees and such, which is ominous to say the least. If someone from Ebay could help resolve this (or just answer the my questions) I would appreciate it. I am in fear of the bad reviewer. 

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to fix a media mail shipped item for a non media package

Since you shipped a soft item in a bubble bag, it is extremely likely the post office will flag it.  In the past, items with wrong postage arrived postage due. The buyer can reject the package or can pay to receive it. If caught at the sorting hub, it may go through and your eBay shipping account will be charged the difference.

The post office typically upgrades the postage to priority mail if over a pound (around $12). I don't know which service they will choose for under a pound now that ground advantage is available ($7). They will also charge $1.50 as a penalty.

You can contact your buyer and let them know you may have applied the wrong postage and that you will reimburse them if the item arrives postage due. You don't need to elaborate. Just let them know that you will stand behind your sale. 

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Since you shipped a soft item in a bubble bag, it is extremely likely the post office will flag it.  In the past, items with wrong postage arrived postage due. The buyer can reject the package or can pay to receive it. If caught at the sorting hub, it may go through and your eBay shipping account will be charged the difference.

The post office typically upgrades the postage to priority mail if over a pound (around $12). I don't know which service they will choose for under a pound now that ground advantage is available ($7). They will also charge $1.50 as a penalty.

You can contact your buyer and let them know you may have applied the wrong postage and that you will reimburse them if the item arrives postage due. You don't need to elaborate. Just let them know that you will stand behind your sale. 

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thanks for your help.  

Message 3 of 3
latest reply