cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long do I have to wait for a buyer to pay for a purchase?

A buyer bought one of my cheap items.  Here is my conversation:

ME: I can’t ship your mercury dime until you pay.
11:52 AM

Keet: Okay, I'll be paying for it sometime here soon
1:28 PM

Me: Hi keet737, Thanks for your business! I am ready to ship the following item: 1944-P 10C Mercury Dime $1.04 Unfortunately, I can't ship the above until I've received a payment. Can you please let me know when I can expect a payment? Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks!
1:30 PM

Keet: (No response.) Purchase was made 51 hours ago.  
Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

eBay gives the buyer four full days -- 96 hours -- to pay. If you issue a new invoice, that resets the clock. After 96 hours, you can cancel for nonpayment.

You can avoid nonpayment by listing for a fixed price with immediate payment required.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

eBay gives the buyer four full days -- 96 hours -- to pay. If you issue a new invoice, that resets the clock. After 96 hours, you can cancel for nonpayment.

You can avoid nonpayment by listing for a fixed price with immediate payment required.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

@dr..sid   

As a fellow seller I know how frustrating non paying buyers can be.

When a buyer doesn't pay you can cancel the sale after 4 FULL DAYS so on the 5th day cancel as buyer hasn't paid. This gives the non-paying buyer a strike on their account and they also will not be able to leave feedback. Then you relist OR do a second chance offer. You can relist by selecting sell similar from the drop down menu next to the sold item, it was sold just not paid for.

If the buyer receives 2 or more strikes in 12 months then they are blocked from auctions or best offers for one year ( as long as the seller sets this up in account settings) and can only make immediate payment purchases, if they get too many strikes then eBay may remove the buyer from the site.

Do not send an invoice or it starts the clock over again for when you cancel as buyer hasn't paid. eBay sends payment reminders.

Unpaid items:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items-buyers?id=4137&st=1

Add the buyer to your blocked buyer list:

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/BuyerBlock?

Have you set up your buyer requirements in account settings?

Click this link: https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements Then block buyers with 2 or more unpaid items in 12 months.

If you are not shipping internationally also block buyers in locations you do not ship to.

Then at the bottom of the screen look for buyer Payment Requirements put a check next to>>
Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.

These settings will cut down on your non paying buyer issues.

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 3 of 3
latest reply