cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did the seller cancel my item?

I purchased a Rolex watch from a seller on ebay.  He said he could take less if I went directly through him.  I said no that I wanted the ebay protection and paypal protection.  So we agreed on a price and he accepted my offer.  I was having trouble paying through paypal so he said he could send me an invoice.  I again stated I wanted it through ebay and paypal for the protection.  So I paid more than I would have if I went through him directly instead of going through ebay but I was fine with that.  So I paid the invoice and received my watch.  Some time after paying and receiving the watch I got an email saying my transaction had been cancelled because buyer did not pay.  I wrote to him and asked him why I received that and he said he cancelled it so he would not have to pay ebay fees.  I told him that was not what we agreed on and I was very clear I wanted to go thorugh ebay and paypal.  So the item does not show up in my purchase history for me to leave feedback and I told him I should have paid less for the watch because he originally told me I could buy it for $9500 not going through ebay.  I paid him $10,650.  I asked him to explain why I am paying $1150 more if he cancelled it through ebay.  What can I do about this.  How can I file a claim and leave feedback as I am not happy with how he handled this.  He did not even discuss with me that he was going to cancel the transaction with ebay.  The only way I knew was when I received the email from ebay.  I don't thing this is right or good practice.  Is there anything I can do?  Thank you. 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

The seller trick you into an off eBay transaction. 

There's nothing to be done.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@tucnol 

There is no way the seller could have cancelled due to "buyer didn't pay" if you went through the Ebay checkout page to pay for your item.

Something about this is amiss.

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@tucnol 

If you paid for the watch on eBay checkout it will still be in your Purchase History somewhere - have you looked further down on that page under Cancelled?

If the seller really did cancel it then that would also trigger a refund to you - even if they chose "buyer didn't pay" as the reason.

We found out recently it is possible to choose that even if the buyer did pay - eBay Community team called it a "cosmetic issue with the wording" on a recent post we asked about, but apparently doesn't affect your account as eBay can see that you paid (if you did). You should have received an email confirmation from eBay when it was completed.

They can't just cancel to get the fees back, that doesn't make sense as fees are only charged when the buyer pays.

U.S. Community Volunteer

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@tucnol 

< I was having trouble paying through paypal so he said he could send me an invoice >   

I think he sent you a Request Money, or whatever they call it in PayPal.  Not the same as an invoice.  

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

There can be no refund if the buyer doesn't pay.

The op paid straight though PayPal .

There was nothing for eBay to refund.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I did pay.  I was not asking for a refund.  I don't know how he cancelled our transaction through ebay when I went through ebay.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I think he has pulled something shady.  He knew I wanted ebay protection and paypal protection.  

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Exactly that is what I think.  So there is nothing I can do?

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@tucnol 

You can report the seller for tricking you and taking this off eBay if that's what happened.

Maybe eBay will at least charge them for the selling fees they lied to you about wanting to avoid paying.

You can fill out this Report link and/or contact eBay CS to talk to them in person about what happened as you still think you were paying eBay.

Report link here - click "the seller violated one of eBay's policies" - https://www.ebay.com/help/action?topicid=4022

To speak with an agent -

Scroll down to the bottom of this >> Help page on Report a seller
Click on "Contact us"
In the Help Chatbot that opens type AGENT in the reply box then press Send to bypass the bots
You should get the options to Chat with agent, or have them call you.

U.S. Community Volunteer

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thank you for your help.  I really appreciate your advice and do what you recommended above.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply