cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Handling a Return for Wrong Item Sent to Buyer

Hello - I accidently shipped out the wrong box to a buyer.  I realized the mistake the next day and contacted the buyer to let him know and asked him to do a Return Request as soon as it arrives and I would approve it and he will get a label and send it back to me and also a full refund and I have to pay for return shipping.

In the meantime I have the right box here ready to ship.  This buyer has 100% positive f/b and I am tempted just to print another label and send out the right item and trust the buyer to follow through with the return - but still, for my own safety I am hesitant to do that, lest he ends up keeping it.

Is the best practice here to wait for the return request and issue a refund and then I would re-list the correct item for the customer to do a Buy it Now at the same price he originally paid?  I know this is a real inconvenience for my buyer - this is a $200 item so I would don't want to  take a hit by letting him just keep it and also send the correct one.

Is there any better way to accomodate my buyer on this?  I'm already going to be out $54 for all the shipping costs - but still want to make it work out okay for the buyer.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Handling a Return for Wrong Item Sent to Buyer

All buyers have 100% positive feedback, so that is not a good indicator. Feedback they left for others may be more telling.

The cleanest procedure is a new sale. As soon as the buyer receives the item and opens the return, issue a return label. When tracking shows it is on its way, you can refund early if you wish - otherwise, refund as soon as it arrives in good condition. Then have the buyer repurchase the relisted item.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Handling a Return for Wrong Item Sent to Buyer

Thank you for your reply.  That is exactly how I am going to handle it - the buyer has been cooperative and I'm going to make it up to him when I relist the correct item by offering him free shipping and a reduced price.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply