cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Shipping and claim problems, WEIRD!

Hello, 

I shipped high-end ring to the authenticator last month. Fully trackable, and insured. It arrived the 26 April. On May 2, I received a notification from "authentication support" at eBay, stating:

Our third-party Authenticator has let us know that your package appears to have been tampered with on its way to the Authentication Center. Our Authenticator noted “Package arrived empty. Shipping team member noticed a tear already in the poly mailer container. See photos.” If you purchased insurance on this shipment, I encourage you to contact the carrier and file an insurance claim. Shipping insurance is the only way a seller can be protected in the event an item is removed from its packaging or damaged while with a carrier. To assist you in this, I have included all photos from our Authenticator of the package. These photos can accompany any insurance claim you wish to make. Please note that we will be fully refunding the buyer on your behalf for this transaction. We’ve updated the buyer on the situation and let them know they can expect the refund within the next 24 to 48 hours.

Events like this are extremely rare but they make clear why shipping insurance is recommended to protect valuable items against damage or loss while in transit. We want to thank you for your patience and understanding in this. We value you as an important part of the eBay community and wish you the best with your future eBay transactions.

I filed a USPS claim for insurance. USPS sent a letter requiring me to produce the shipping materials so that my claim could be evaluated. Authentication support advised:

Per our phone conversation yesterday regarding  *removed*.

The authenticator took the packaging with the letter from USPS you provided us to the local post office on May 12th. I'm hoping that you will be given an update on your claim soon.  It was my pleasure to assist you today. Have a wonderful rest of your day!

I went on to wait and wait, calling and checking in with USPS claims and eBay. USPS continued to say they had NO packing materials. They further advised they are NOT allowed to receive anything in person without substantiation of what it is, why they are getting it, unless it is in the regular shipping business of the post office. They also advised, if they had received the packing materials from anyone the clerk would have logged the information into the computer with the information off the shipping label (which was still attached). Still, nothing.  I continue to make calls, complain, ask for proof that the packing materials were delivered to the USPS as I was advised. I emailed eBay, saying:

Dear eBay/Authentication: No update from USPS on the *** and from what can be determined by our local postmaster and his investigation, the USPS is still NOT showing a receipt of shipping materials.
Please advise who had them in hand, and who passed along the materials to USPS. As far as the USPS is concerned, they use a form called the PS3831 which documents and provides all parties with a receipt of requested items like shipping materials. The regional postmaster for this area (over the individual post offices) advised they are not allowed to receive any items, documents, etc. without the PS3831. 
I contact eBay again, and relay this infformation, and receive this reply:

This is *** with eBay Authenticity Support. I would be happy to have confirmed that USPS is already in possession of the packaging. the authenticator hub gave it to USPS on May 11th so that the claim may proceed. This all part of the normal process we follow with USPS. the authenticator hub is in Carlsbad so perhaps the USPS office you are speaking could get in contact with USPS Carlsbad? I trust this information helps, however, if you still require further assistance from us please let us know.

I follow up, since after a few more days the claim is showing no progress and I am more and more worried. ($1400 item).  I email eBay again, saying: 

Please see the screenshot attached, which shows nothing received so far by way of evidence of the damaged shipment materials. I am running out of time on my claim. Without more substantiation of delivery of the packing materials to the USPS I will be denied my insurance claim!!!  Help. 
I receive a phone call, shortly thereafter and am advised to wait until later on that afternoon for a follow-up phone call. NO CALL that afternoon.
I follow up with eBay on the phone and am told, "...oh, they (USPS) have the stuff, and you need to speak with them, the eBay warehouse does not have it anymore. 
I reply that "NO, THEY DO NOT HAVE IT AT USPS. 
I am advised to wait for a supervisor to get on the phone, of course, no one is available to speak with me, await a call back.  NO CALLBACK. Now beyond upset!

Further told it would be of no use to contact eBay anymore about this, I need to work with USPS.
Wait a day and call USPS just in case something changed. No, nothing. Claim will be closed since 20th day since the request received by me to produce the shipping materials. 
Now so frustrated, I am crying (earlier today) I call eBay, wait on hold for 25 minutes to speak with someone who is able to read the history of the situation and am asked, "What does the USPS say?" 
Once again, I try to calmly relate that they are closing the claim as a failure to produce proof.  eBay tells me, I see that our warehouse staff was supposed to take the materials over to the USPS.  WHAT!!! Wait, what? This is something I was told repeatedly in writing that was done!!!  
I am now placed on hold so the person can fully review all the past internal communications and my emails. She comes back on the line and apologizes since "...nothing more we can do, I am so sorry. I can remove the defect on your account for this!" 
The USPS will close my case tomorrow, and advises without the packing materials in a claim of the insured amount there is NO WAY to successfully appeal. DONE DEAL. 
So, here I am, no item, lost money, lost hours upon hours, made many in person visits to USPS to follow up and all for nothing. eBay advises that they did not make the decision to deny my claim, that was USPS. 
I say, "Yes, but eBay had a DUE DILIGENCE responsibility to get the materials to the post office with the appropriate verification. eBay would not take my word for it if I was to claim, oh I shipped (an item) and there's no record. These are warehouse shipping employees, they are expected to know how to deal with these issues. 
Please, anyone, advise... it seems this is otherwise left best in the California small claims court. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: HELP! Shipping and claim problems, WEIRD!

You shipped a $1500 ring in a poly mailer?

Even with insurance, USPS probably won't cover that.

Have a great day.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

No, I used a box, within another box, and outside of that a USPS flat rate padded envelope. This is a small piece of jewelry, and it is the typical way I ship to be discrete. Two boxes that fit snug, cotton on the inside of the small box, padded with bubble. This inner most box is a small Kraft box, I buy these in bulk, (3" X 2" 1) --- the outer box is a larger box that measures 4 1/2" wide, 5" long X 1 1/4" tall. I stuff the outer box with bubble wrap from U-line and snuggle the jewelry box inside. This is also a great way to ship if I am asked to gift wrap the jewelry box. My second grown-up job was as an outside business development and product manager for Airborne Express, (now DHL). I learned quite a bit about freight since I was selling to enterprise level users. No complaints in over 6 years for any packaging issues on eBay. If I had been denied based upon the materials I used, that would be one thing, it is quite another thing to never be afforded the opportunity. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

standard shipping packingstandard shipping packingSS

Message 4 of 4
latest reply