cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud - eBay refuses to help

Hello all,

I purchased an item that was not close to being as advertised. It was a coin advertised as Carson City mint, uncirculated, NGC certified. While it was NGC certified, it was New Orleans mint and circulated. eBay said it was too soon for them to help me with a refund, but suspended the seller. Because eBay wouldn’t help, I reported the purchase to PayPal. Now eBay tells me they won’t help because I reported it to my financial institution. PayPal is waiting for a response from eBay, and won’t do anything until they respond or until 1/8 if they don’t receive a response from eBay. Any suggestions other than being out hundreds of dollars until 1/8? Thanks for any suggestions.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Fraud - eBay refuses to help

Once you start a case through your payment method, eBay can no longer help, as the matter is taken out of eBay's hands entirely. eBay no longer has access to the funds once a case has been started.

For best results, use eBay's money back guarantee first. You have up to thirty days from the date you receive an item to file a "not as described" return.

After that, if eBay is unable to help, you may be able to get help from PayPal. That provides protection for up to six months from the date of purchase. If PayPal is unable to help, you can then turn to your credit card issuer for help as a last line of defense.

If you go to your credit card first, you cannot go to PayPal or eBay for help, so it pays to use the correct order.

Provide PayPal with whatever details PayPal needs to decide the case in your favor. Typically in a "not as described" case, you need to return the item to the seller using a tracked shipping method to prove it was returned.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Fraud - eBay refuses to help

Thanks for the reply. That would be great, but I learned that the item was not as described by closer scrutiny of the photos. The seller didn’t ship anything. The photo shows the New Orleans coin and an NGC holder labeled AU55. The description contains both that it’s a Carson City uncirculated coin and a New Orleans AU55 coin. It was the seller’s second sale and they were suspended as a result of my report. PayPal credit is the financial institution. I use it for purchases then pay it off as soon as the charge hits.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply