cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does eBay Motors Arrange for Car Sales and Delivery?

I found a car on Craigslist that was selling with an inexpensive price. Turns out the seller is (supposedly) the mother of a son who just recently died. She is saying that eBay motors is handling the sale, and they will contact me. Is there any way that I can verify the legitimacy of the party who is to contact me, as being truly eBay motors vs. an imposter scammer?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Does eBay Motors Arrange for Car Sales and Delivery?

@darrenbell.cm1 

This is a thief. eBay has nothing to do with something you found outside of eBay. 
Nothing to verify. As soon as you mentioned Craigslist, I had all the information I needed. 

Cease all communication with this scoundrel who has the typical ‘damsel in distress’ approach. 
It always a grieving widow, or a grieving mother needing to unload a vehicle. Always far away from you but there is free shipping and a money back guarantee.  

Soon you will be required to buy gift cards to send this person. (Here’s a secret, it’s not really a woman.)

Legitimate eBay Motors listings don’t allow gift cards for payment. 

Look for something closer to home that you can look at, kick the tires, look the seller in the eye, even give it a test drive. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Yes, well, I agree with “almost absolutely” everything you said (or wrote, actually). The only slight thing I disagree with is that there should never need be any situation where a person should attempt to verify with eBay as to whether someone who is supposedly part of eBay - but yet was on a website that did not itself follow directly from a login to the known eBay website, or the known eBay app - was truly from eBay or not. I think that general avenue of attempting to verify or authenticate should always be possible and kept open (in a more perfect world).

Though, interestingly, while I found your answer to be substantially helpful - particularly for others who may be reading - you never answered my original question. My original question sought to discover about the current practices of eBay Motors: do they conduct any type of business of selling AND delivering cars on the behalf of a customer who may be seeking such an overall service. If not, what is the extent of what eBay Motors will facilitate, conduct, etc. as far as an automobile transaction is concerned? Do they verify sellers, and that their automobiles are accurately stated, in advance of any listing? That might seem ridiculous, but such a service could be really very popular and fantastic, particularly when one considers that it could be made economically viable by being paid for by the seller (to improve the resale amount of their car). So, I don’t suppose eBay or anyone else is doing this kind of thing, other than actual auto dealers, but I just figured I’d ask what eBay IS up to by 2023. . . And what should I expect would be within reason and totally out of reason, when a different situation may occur later??

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

eBay doesn't email anyone about a car.

They do not ship vehicles or handle shipping of vehicles. 

They don't  have sellers give them the buyer's name.

eBay knows who you are when you are buying an item on their site. 

Nobody can make an arrangement with eBay to handle a sale. That's  not how vehicle sales are conducted.

There's  never an inspection period. Vehicles can't be returned.

eBay doesn't  handle payment arrangements. They don't  hold payments on vehicles.

They don't  send an invoice with payment instructions.

You can't pay for vehicles with gift cards.

Scammers steal pictures off the internet and list them for a price to good to be true to hook you. They always have an explanation why they are selling and it always involves a sob story.

Did that help answer your question?

Forward the fake invoice to spoof@ebay.com and report the fraudulent ad on the site you found it.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

The answer to all you questions is No.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply