cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contacted by a scammer. How do I proceed?

Recently my item got "sold" on auction. Shortly after the buyer contacts me, saying that he has questions about the item and methods of paying for it, and asking me to text him to his phone number for that. I am pretty sure it's a scammer. He even registered his account on Jan 2nd (shortly after I made my post), and now, just imagine, is "No longer a registered user". So what should I do now? There's clearly no need to send him an invoice, because he's a scammer, and if I cancel my listing now, I will be charged Ebay fees: so, like, losses with no profit? Plus, I think I read somewhere that if you cancel listings without trying to resolve the problem with the buyer first, then it affects your rating, if I understood correctly. On the other hand, the Internet oftentimes suggests to just ignore the scammers when they write you anything and not reply anything to them. So now I'm thinking - is there, like, a point in me trying to ask him to discuss all this stuff with me via Ebay platform, or should I not even bother replying, because he's clearly a scammer? And what should I do with my listing now? Just take on the losses and go the "relisting" route? Thanks for any advice.)

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Do NOT reply to the scammer.

After 4 full days have passed, you can cancel the transaction on the 5th day due to "buyer didn't pay" and then you can relist.

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Do NOT reply to the scammer.

After 4 full days have passed, you can cancel the transaction on the 5th day due to "buyer didn't pay" and then you can relist.

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thank you very much. Guess, I'll do just that!)

Message 3 of 3
latest reply