cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I request a refund/return/replacement for a defective item or am I just out the money?

I bought a scooter as a Christmas gift for my daughter.  I received it on December 14th.   I gave it to her on Christmas Day.  She rode it about 6-10 times over the next five weeks the metal frame broke at a weak spot and became unusable.  The scooter was new but defective.  Two to three days later (Feb. 3rd) I contacted the seller (including pictures of the break) and received no reply.

The return policy in the original eBay ad stated: 

"If you are not 100% satisfied with this item simply return it to us! Items must be shipped to us with insurance.  Unopened merchandise may be returned in its original condition, including original packaging."

Today, I messaged the owner again and they sent me a message that stated that they only accept refunds within 30 days. But it doesn't say that in the ad. And I would expect a $60 brand new scooter to last more than 5 weeks unless, of course, if it's defective which this one is.  Defects are not always noticeable until the item is used a bit.  But defective is defective and there should be a way to return defective items and not simply be out the money.

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Can I request a refund/return/replacement for a defective item or am I just out the money?

@lishuilotus 

>>Today, I messaged the owner again and they sent me a message that stated that they only accept refunds within 30 days. But it doesn't say that in the ad.<<

All listings clearly display the Ebay 30 day Money Back Guarantee.

If you received a defective item, you can file a dispute through Paypal or contact your credit card company.

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 2 of 2
latest reply