cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to leave buyer negative feedback?

Sometimes buyers do not deserve positive feedback which is the only option ebay offers.  Any work arounds?  I feel other sellers should know when there is a valid issue.  Ie. repeated non-payment of items. etc. 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Any way to leave buyer negative feedback?

Sometimes buyers do not deserve positive feedback which is the only option ebay offers.

That is not your only option, though.

Leaving no feedback at all is an option.

Leaving feedback that says "Thanks for your payment" is also an option, assuming the buyer actually pays.

Feedback for a buyer does not need to be a positive character reference, nor should it be relied on as such.

eBay stopped allowing sellers to give negative feedback for buyers in 2008 because when sellers were able to leave negative feedback for buyers, some sellers would use the opportunity to threaten to leave negative feedback for buyers who left well-deserved negative feedback for those sellers, or else sellers could actually leave negatives and then push for mutual withdrawal of feedback comments. Such behavior made it harder for buyers to distinguish between good sellers and bad sellers, which is the whole point of the feedback system where buyers, not sellers, initiate transactions.

Scammers are not deterred by the threat of negative feedback, or even by getting negative feedback.

By the time a seller has an opportunity to read a buyer's feedback, it is often too late for the seller to avoid a buyer-initiated transaction without violating policy and cancelling for a false reason.

If a buyer does not pay, wait four days and cancel for nonpayment. That gives the buyer a strike and prevents feedback from being left. Sellers can preemptively block any user with two or more nonpayment cancellation strikes in the last twelve months -- which is much more effective that leaving feedback.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Hi @theresalestudio 

-You can use the Report Buyer link on the transaction

-In 2008 eBay stopped letting Sellers leave less than Positive Feedback for Sellers ... it marked the end of a balanced and unbiased Feedback system.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Thank you.  I was not aware that when a seller cancels for non-payment after 4 days (which I have done) causes a strike against the buyer.  Good to know.  I have alleviated many non-payment issues by now using the standard policy of requiring immediate payment.  However, still makes you mad when the few sales come through and then fizzle with non-payment.  Appreciate your thoughtful response.  

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thank you for responding.  Appreciated. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

You are most welcome. Good luck!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply