eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

kariandlarrysales
Community Member

Unreasonable delay at Pitney-Bowes Global Shipping Center

In Transit with Destination Carrier

Dec-27-13, 18:01 PM, South Normanton

Shipped from US Shipping Center to International Destination

Dec-24-13, 23:55 PM, Erlanger

Customs Documentation and Labeling

Dec-06-13, 06:17 AM, Erlanger

Processing at US Shipping Center

Dec-06-13, 06:09 AM, Erlanger

Arrived at US shipping Center

Dec-05-13, 12:39 PM, Erlanger, KY 41018

I'm disappointed & needless to say, so is my buyer. If 19 days "processing time" is now the norm, a seller would be foolish to offer GSP, even if it's a less expensive option.

I can't say I was ever a "cheerleader" for GSP but I saw it as another shipping option & successfully used it a few times. This, however, is unacceptable (even at Christmas) for a shipping program in existance for over a year.

starroute-us
Community Member

Re: Unreasonable delay at Pitney-Bowes Global Shipping Center

in reply to kariandlarrysales

Shipping delays are rampant this year.

Ebay finally put this out:

http://announcements.ebay.com/2013/12/attention-sellers-ebay-is-protecting-you-from-major-carrier-ho...

kariandlarrysales
Community Member

in reply to starroute-us

starroute-us wrote:

http://announcements.ebay.com/2013/12/attention-sellers-ebay-is-protecting-you-from-major-carrier-ho...

19 days (Dec.5 until Christmas Eve) at the GSP center in Erlarger, KY would seem a little more than a Christmas rush shipping delay.

books...forthememories
Community Member

kariandlarrysales wrote:

I'm disappointed & needless to say, so is my buyer. If 19 days "processing time" is now the norm, a seller would be foolish to offer GSP, even if it's a less expensive option.

I can't say I was ever a "cheerleader" for GSP but I saw it as another shipping option & successfully used it a few times. This, however, is unacceptable (even at Christmas) for a shipping program in existance for over a year.

I wouldn't touch GSP with a ten-foot pole, for several reasons--one of which is shipping to a middleman and thereby causing delays plus possible repackaging and increased risk of loss/theft/damage.  Not to mention grossly inflated shipping costs for buyers.

No way.  I've been shipping internationally for 14 years, with 100% satisfaction for my overseas customers. :smileyhappy:

kariandlarrysales
Community Member

in reply to books...forthememories

books...forthememories wrote:

kariandlarrysales wrote:

I wouldn't touch GSP with a ten-foot pole, for several reasons--one of which is shipping to a middleman and thereby causing delays plus possible repackaging and increased risk of loss/theft/damage.  Not to mention grossly inflated shipping costs for buyers.

No way.  I've been shipping internationally for 14 years, with 100% satisfaction for my overseas customers. :smileyhappy:

& selling books, GSP would ordinarily be a extremely poor choice for international shipping.

I'm a junk (albeit, at times, expensive junk) seller & GSP will fill a shipping niche if it works properly. 

one of which is shipping to a middleman and thereby causing delays plus possible repackaging and increased risk of loss/theft/damage

So, you'll accept the identical risks from a foreign customs agency or UPS/FEDEX but somehow it's unimaginable when it's Pitney-Bowes & subs?

starroute-us
Community Member

Yes, your case is extreme also GSP is involved, so That I think is the biggest problem.

GSP should cover it if case is filed and remove any neg feedback you receive as a result of their *issues* since it was delivered to KY.

You might have to spend some phone time on this if there is any *fallout*. Sorry :smileysad:

muttlymob
Community Member

in reply to starroute-us

starroute-us wrote:

The OP's problem isn't a shipping carrier delay.  It's eBay's international shipping center delay.

starroute-us
Community Member

in reply to muttlymob

Shipping services are still used. and GSP is a problem anyway.

gopetersen
Community Member

[ Edited ]

The delay at Erlanger isn't necessarily caused by Pitney Bowes.

eBay has 3 million square feet of warehouse space, some of it in Kentucky. GSP, I believe, is jointly handled by eBay Enterprise (formerly GSI Commerce) and Pitney Bowes. Many of the execs at GSI Commerce came over from DSL.

There is some anecdotal evidence (with pictures) that some shipments are opened and repackaged and that packaging is sometimes removed (possibly to reduce weight). It's possible this happens in the eBay Enterprise warehouse, not through Pitney Bowes.

I believe Pitney Bowes does some distribution, but they are primarily a postage company.

We don't have much information on the details of how GSP is handled between eBay and Pitney Bowes, much of it is speculation, but we can't automatically assume the delay at the warehouse is because of Pitney Bowes. Maybe repackaging or amalgamating shipments to specific countries was part of the delay.

books...forthememories
Community Member

kariandlarrysales wrote:

kariandlarrysales wrote:

& selling books, GSP would ordinarily be a extremely poor choice for international shipping.

I'm a junk (albeit, at times, expensive junk) seller & GSP will fill a shipping niche if it works properly. 

one of which is shipping to a middleman and thereby causing delays plus possible repackaging and increased risk of loss/theft/damage

So, you'll accept the identical risks from a foreign customs agency or UPS/FEDEX but somehow it's unimaginable when it's Pitney-Bowes & subs?

I ship only via First Class Interntional through USPS.  So there's no unpleasant "surprise" for my buyers in the form of excess duties/VAT charges/courier fees, etc.

And there isn't any extra sneaky hidden charge to pay ebay's & pitneybowes' "service" fees...

books...forthememories
Community Member

in reply to books...forthememories

Interntional = International ^

killerbeedeals
Community Member

What's the catch with the Global Shipping Program anyways... is it really better to use it vs. regular "Customs label shipping"?  Is eBay secretly profiting? 

Community Member

kariandlarrysales wrote:

kariandlarrysales wrote:

I don't think the risks are identical, Larry. Normal shipping does not involve an extra party who grossly delay the goods and have and have so much interest in checking the goods or repackaging them. Certainly, I have never, not in over 20 years had goods opened by customs or repackaged by a carrier..

books...forthememories
Community Member

in reply to eekhorn1

eekhorn1 wrote:

kariandlarrysales wrote:

kariandlarrysales wrote:

I don't think the risks are identical, Larry. Normal shipping does not involve an extra party who grossly delay the goods and have and have so much interest in checking the goods or repackaging them. Certainly, I have never, not in over 20 years had goods opened by customs or repackaged by a carrier..

Ditto.  And none of my buyers has ever had to pay customs "fees" that would never have been charged at all with normal USPS shipping.  Not to mention the little extra charges that go to pay ebay's & pitneybowes' "percentages".  :smileyhappy:

eBay Employee

Hi kariandlarrysales. I posted this on the other thread where you posted this question, but here it is again just in case -- 

First off, I'm really sorry about how this transaction went down. Items should definitely not sit in Kentucky that long, holiday season or not.

Please feel free to contact me via Private Message if you would like me to investigate further from my end. I would need full transaction info, item #, + the eBay id and email address used for the transaction.

As mentioned elsewhere in the thread Pitney Bowes does have "best practices" that, when followed, greatly decrease the chances that it will be opened (this is cut&posted from a different thread on the same topic)  -- 1) the country of origin for the commodity is provided by seller  2) there is one commodity on the box  3) the destination country does not require open box processing

Again, sorry for the delay on this one. No excuses for it sitting for that long. Ideally following the best practices above will help avoid future delays.

---Ben

gopetersen
Community Member

in reply to bennett4612

Ben, best wishes for the New Year and thank you for making the effort to provide information and assistance. It's appreciated.