eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
nessa2for14
Community Member

What has happened to our rights and FREEDOM? Selling and buying on ebay????

Maybe it is just me, But what happened to the seller and buyer resolving issues on their own before Ebay gets involved? What happened to the buyer must contact the seller about any issues first then he/she has 24 hrs to make up their own minds if they want to open a case against the seller?

Oh, come to find out, Guess What? Ebay changed all the rules AGAIN!

Now if a buyer ask any kind of question dealing with any kind of issue with a bought item, EBAY steps in and opens a case on our BEHALF. And then gives us 3 days to resolve it before THEY Escalate it, of coarse on our BEHALF.

I think this is an insult to both the seller and buyer. And are we still in kindergarden?

Does anyone else have this feeling?

Please use plain text.
cobbie10
Community Member

Re: What has happened to our rights and FREEDOM? Selling and buying on ebay????

in reply to nessa2for14

Not true. A buyer can contact a seller after a sale without opening a case. I've had several of my buyers contact me and ask where their items are without a case being opened. I've also had them contact me on other matters, again without a case being opened. It's the buyer not reading the options that are available to them that is causing the problems. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to nessa2for14

I have 2 stores on ebay, 2 different accounts

This happened in both stores this past week, when I called them and asked Ebay about it, they said this was something they have recently changed.

Reasoning was too many buyers were escalating the case too quickly, so they decided to take all control.

Please use plain text.
black*max
Community Member

in reply to nessa2for14

Even now if a buyer opens a case the buyer and seller can work it out, eBay is not envolved and the case don't count at all against the seller.

Cases are now being recorded on the buyers account and they can loose buyer protection if they do it too often for no good reason.

Please use plain text.
the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth
Community Member

in reply to nessa2for14

The open a case option happens on some selections of contact a seller. Many buyers may not realize it is happening, or different from what happened before.

I know I had to back out and poke around before I found a way to contact the seller without a case. Many newer buyers may not be as persistent.

I agree, it's a huge problem.

Please use plain text.
cobbie10
Community Member

in reply to nessa2for14

I have 2 stores on ebay, 2 different accounts

This happened in both stores this past week, when I called them and asked Ebay about it, they said this was something they have recently changed.

Reasoning was too many buyers were escalating the case too quickly, so they decided to take all control.

They may have recently changed it but buyers still have the option to contact you without opening a case. 

Please use plain text.
black*max
Community Member

in reply to nessa2for14

The open a case option happens on some selections of contact a seller. Many buyers may not realize it is happening, or different from what happened before.

I know I had to back out and poke around before I found a way to contact the seller without a case. Many newer buyers may not be as persistent.

I agree, it's a huge problem.

Why is it a huge problem if it no longer counts against the seller?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to nessa2for14

"huge problem"

Sellers that have a huge problem with this...are the problem.

Please use plain text.
3606sam
Community Member

in reply to nessa2for14

Since January I have sold just over 300 items and not one SNAD has been opened against me. I have had one INR opened and I just immediately refunded. Everyone was happy happy.

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather--who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.
Please use plain text.
lookng2015
Community Member

in reply to nessa2for14

Why is it a huge problem if it no longer counts against the seller?

Perhaps because a case found as "no fault" isn't considered "found in seller's favour", so therefore it DOES count against the seller?

As usual with most policies, eBay speaks out of both sides of their mouth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley

"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to nessa2for14

What has happened to our rights and FREEDOM?

You voluntarily gave them up when you accepted the eBay user agreement. If you want your rights and freedoms and to not feel like a kindergardener, you need to sell on your own website where you make the rules.

Unlucky

Please use plain text.
rmge
Community Member

in reply to nessa2for14

Nessa - we have no rights or freedom here.  This is a business enterprise and that is all it is. eBay is not the friend who let you down, or the parent who changed the rules on when you could drive the family car.

It's quite difficult to follow all the changing rules here -- just when you get used to doing things one way, they "revise" it to benefit the buyers more, or some such pap.

You are here because ebay allows you to be here.  It does no good to look at things any other way than that simple sentence or bemoan that things should be better.  We all know they should be better but wishing doesn't make it so.

Please use plain text.
nessa2for14
Community Member

in reply to nessa2for14

I know they have got the market cornered and there really is not a better place to go. But voicing it and letting go a little steam seems to help. Thanks

Please use plain text.
surplusdealdude
Community Member

in reply to nessa2for14

I don't see why it's such a big deal that a case is opened.

Nothing has changed - resolve the problem with the buyer and the case gets closed or the buyer forgets about it and ebay closes it in your favour.

Good customer service lets you win either way.

“Item Specifics are important - they help the ebay search engine find your products and help Google, Yahoo and other search engines classify your products for inclusion in their search engines
Please use plain text.
rmge
Community Member

in reply to nessa2for14

I know they have got the market cornered and there really is not a better place to go. But voicing it and letting go a little steam seems to help. Thanks

Sometimes, you just have to VENT -- and this is usually a good place to do it if you ignore those who start picking you apart.:8}

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to nessa2for14

When did only giving someone exactly what they demand no matter if they are intentionally trying to scam, lying, or just being unreasonable become the definition of good customer service.  Not all sellers are bad people and not all buyers honest.  It might be easier to just let them get away with it but it is NOT the definition of customer service

Please use plain text.
surplusdealdude
Community Member

in reply to nessa2for14

When did only giving someone exactly what they demand no matter if they are intentionally trying to scam, lying, or just being unreasonable become the definition of good customer service.  Not all sellers are bad people and not all buyers honest.  It might be easier to just let them get away with it but it is NOT the definition of customer service

Alright then, YOU come up with a better system.

Remember, you only have 2 stories to work with.  You can't see the item, you don't know what happened to it on the way to being delivered.

Someone is lying or maybe nobody is lying - they just have different points of view.

How would YOU decide?  And why?

“Item Specifics are important - they help the ebay search engine find your products and help Google, Yahoo and other search engines classify your products for inclusion in their search engines
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to nessa2for14

First of all: parties should be considered equally Inocent until Proven quilty.  The seller here is always the one to defend themselves and is never given the benefit of the doubt.  Ebay arbitrators should be impartial and fair not  biased and discriminating.  Here is a direct quote from the Ebay Resolution Center page "If you have an issue with an item you bought, contact the seller by opening a case in the eBay Resolution Center. If the seller doesn't make things right, we're here to help." 

This tells buyers up front not to work with the seller because the seller is already assumed at fault. (Seller must make it right) If not Ebay will give you what you want.

You asked how I would decide.  The answer is fairly!  If neither side can prove their point of view, as you call it,  then meet in the middle. 

First don't encourage or allow individuals to immediatlely open a case against someone without first contacting them directly to see what can be worked out.   Most people will be more understanding before they are "officially" accused of wrong doing. 

If no agreement can be reached and no one party is "at fault".  Partial refunds and splitting of shipping fees is fair.  Under the current policy Ebay will give them a full refund and allow them to keep the item even in cases where the seller is found "not at fault"  (This is what happened to me).   This policy is no incentive for any fair play on the part of the buyer. 

Good Customer Service is making every reasonable attempt to meet demands while giving all parities the benefit of the doubt.  It is not caving in to every demand (reasonable or unreasonable) so somoeone will not trash your reputation and Ebay standing just because they can.

Please use plain text.
whartondoc
Community Member

in reply to nessa2for14

You still have the right to remain silent...

Santa Claws is coming to town...
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to nessa2for14

This is going to be a serious issue for the SELLERS. I'll give you my example. I buy a bunch of inexpensive vintage things on ebay. As a buyer I understand that some of these items are not going to be accurately described and attached photos are usually too small to make a judgment about the item's true condition.

In the past I would simply contact the seller, notify them that I would like to return the item. I pay for the shipping and send them back with tracking. I don't leave feedback.

But now I can't do it because as a buyer I need to protect myself from sellers who think that ALL sales are final. I need to open a case so that ebay has documentation as to why the item is being returned because some sellers report buyers as scammers when they contact them and simply notify them that they want to return.

In the end this is going to hurt sellers because many of these cases are going to be escalated and buyers will stay away from buying because they can't return items like ebay makes them believe they can and now ebay tells them that they'll keep track them. 

But on the other hand ebay is coying Amazon and wants sellers to implement automatic no-fault like returns.

I for one will stop buying on ebay and go go elsewhere and simply won't buy any inexpensive items because if I want to return them, I am a scammer.

Please use plain text.