eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
much_more_muchier
Community Member

Ebay shipping rates more expensive than paypal labels

I have noticed for international USPS packages paypal shipping labels are about 20% cheaper than if I print the exact same label through ebay (have not checked for domestic rates yet). Has this always been the case that paypal offers better rates than printing directly through ebay?

Please use plain text.
starroute-us
Community Member

Re: Ebay shipping rates more expensive than paypal labels

in reply to much_more_muchier

examples please?

Please use plain text.
thegolfingdolphin
Community Member

No they are the same.  There is a new service called Delcon, that does have Delivery Confirmation for international shipments, and also a slightly lower rate, but not all countries and regions qualify for this service.

I think this is what you are seeing.

Please use plain text.
much_more_muchier
Community Member

in reply to starroute-us

7 lb package to Israel via USPS Priority Mail International is $54.88 when printing thru ebay and and the exact same label is $47.71 when printed thru paypal (not via the print label option on the main account page on paypal which will take you to the ebay label page, I am talking about the "create your shipping label" page on paypal where you have to enter the recipients name and address etc).

Checked for a few honk kong addresses and the same deal...all around 20% cheaper on paypal...the only issue is with paypal the USPS priority mail international label has a bug where you cannot have a higher declared value thatn $400 (been this way for years from what I have read)...but priority mail express through paypal is cheaper than plain old priority mail international on ebay lol....I never knew this before.

Please use plain text.
thegolfingdolphin
Community Member

well that is certainly an interesting observation.   If you printed the label look to see if it has a big logo the says DELCON (DELivery CONfirmation).  I have seen rates lower that have this on the label.

Please use plain text.
much_more_muchier
Community Member

in reply to thegolfingdolphin

Yep I will be printing a few labels tonight and will report back....although maybe I should keep my mouth shut and continue to enjoy the cheaper rates!

Please use plain text.
fruitacres
Community Member

Maybe the extra cost is the "free" auto-upload of your tracking info to eBay.

This sig intentionally left blank

Please use plain text.
much_more_muchier
Community Member

in reply to fruitacres

It may also have something to do with using calculated shipping. It seems for now ebay uses the commercial base rate while paypal offers a discounted commercial base rate. Either way I am happy to add tracking info myself and offer savings to my buyers. If I ever work up the interest to do some testing with none calculated shipping orders I will report back.

Please use plain text.
much_more_muchier
Community Member

OK I think I have an answer. From reading threads from over a year ago on Paypal forums it seems Paypal is downloading the incorrect rates from Pitney Bowes (they are givng the discounted commercial rate instead of the commercial rate). Apparently they have no interest in fixing the issue just as they will not fix the Priority Mail International label issue. Still have not tested domestic rates. Interesting.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

There is a number of things PayPal won't fix or that glitch with international labels.  Makes you wonder where their head it at.

Please use plain text.
much_more_muchier
Community Member

in reply to rfmtm

Sorry for the late reply but I have finally figured out why it is cheaper for me to use Paypal to print shipping labels rather than use ebay labels. Since I am not a TRS seller on ebay I do not get the comm plus rate. However Paypal does give me the comm plus rate when I print the label thru them. Until I am a TRS I will be using Paypal to print my labels.

Please use plain text.
black*max
Community Member

brick_to_terabithia wrote:

7 lb package to Israel via USPS Priority Mail International is $54.88 when printing thru ebay and and the exact same label is $47.71 when printed thru paypal (not via the print label option on the main account page on paypal which will take you to the ebay label page, I am talking about the "create your shipping label" page on paypal where you have to enter the recipients name and address etc).

Checked for a few honk kong addresses and the same deal...all around 20% cheaper on paypal...the only issue is with paypal the USPS priority mail international label has a bug where you cannot have a higher declared value thatn $400 (been this way for years from what I have read)...but priority mail express through paypal is cheaper than plain old priority mail international on ebay lol....I never knew this before.

I don't know where those numbers from paypal are coming from But they are not Com plus.

$54.88 is the Com, rate for 7# but $51.30 is the Com plus rate for 7# not $47.71.

photo tig02-1.jpg
Teach a man to fish and you've lost a good customer.
Please use plain text.
thiskittyisbarefootallthetime
Community Member

in reply to rfmtm

rfmtm wrote:

There is a number of things PayPal won't fix or that glitch with international labels.  Makes you wonder where their head it at.

I know where their head is! :cattongue:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please use plain text.
black*max
Community Member

in reply to black*max

There is no USPS rate matching $47.71.

photo tig02-1.jpg
Please use plain text.
cobbie10
Community Member

in reply to black*max

black*max wrote:

There is no USPS rate matching $47.71.

How about with your TRS discount. 

I pay $5.55 for a 1 ounce overseas package with my TRS discount. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to black*max

A couple of weeks ago, eBay has negotiated rates that don't appear anywhere in Notice123.

Please use plain text.
much_more_muchier
Community Member

in reply to black*max

Hi Black Max,

Just checked again and the rate is indeed $47.71 thru paypal labels for 7 lbs going to Israel via USPS Priority Mail International while it is $54.88 thru ebay for me. I know ebay is quoting me the comm rate. When I print the paypal label it says comm plus on the label. Maybe there are different tiers to comm plus and paypal gives a deeper discount than ebay? 

Please use plain text.
black*max
Community Member

brick_to_terabithia wrote:

Hi Black Max,

Just checked again and the rate is indeed $47.71 thru paypal labels for 7 lbs going to Israel via USPS Priority Mail International while it is $54.88 thru ebay for me. I know ebay is quoting me the comm rate. When I print the paypal label it says comm plus on the label. Maybe there are different tiers to comm plus and paypal gives a deeper discount than ebay? 

Nope no tiers, Com plus is $51.30, there is no rate matching $47.71

photo tig02-1.jpg
Please use plain text.
black*max
Community Member

in reply to black*max

These are the rates published by USPS.

http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm300/notice123.pdf

photo tig02-1.jpg
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to black*max

Max, eBay has negotiated rates that aren't in Notice 123. See this discussion with a member of the shipping team, especially post 12:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Chat-with-the-eBay-Shipping-USPS-Tea...

Please use plain text.