eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • FedEx One Rate

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

mimosa558
Community Member

Return scam? Can I win the case? Please, help.

I need help of more experienced sellers.

I am going to describe the situation and I have specific questions. It would be very helpful if you advised me so I can become a better seller.

I am a top seller. (Never mind this buyer ID), but I have been selling for just slightly over the year, so I still have some gaps in my knowledge. I accept returns so I can benefit from 20% discount offered by Ebay for top sellers. A buyer bought a $130 dress from me in size S. A week later she contacted me that she would love to buy the same dress in size M, try them both and choose whatever fits better (as size S didn't fit perfectly) and return the one that doesn't fit well. She paid me for the second dress and I mailed it to her. After receiving it, she emailed me that even though she really loves the dresses, she wants to return them both because they both don't fit her well. I said no problem. Several days ago I received back the package with the return. Inside the package... only one dress. My heart ached right away as I suspected it's my turn to experience a return scam pulled by a buyer..(because she also included a note stating that two dresses are enclosed, please process the refund).

I believe my first mistake was that instead of consulting Ebay community first how to handle this problem, I emailed her back stating that I received only one dress where is the second. She answered that she mailed them both and asked if the package was tempered with. (The buyer purchased insurance. The confirmation is on the envelope). I called Ebay right away and reported the situation having a slight hope that this would help as I knew that a case was coming. Ebay told me that I need to tell the buyer to contact the carrier with the problem since she has an insurance. I communicated this to the buyer. Yesterday, she filed a SNAD case with FULL refund request.

Now questions I have. Some of them might be minor but I can't answer them so decided to ask you guys.

1. SNAD case is that correct approach? Was she supposed to file a different case? Because the item was received and she was happy with it. Lost SNAD case requires full refund. So I refund her shipping fees as well? Huh?

2. She has an insurance label on the envelope. No tracking number label. She didn't communicate the tracking to Ebay either.

3. There are TWO price labels on the package for some reason. Different price. One is 5.10 and another 5.60. Insurance costs more I believe.

4. Do I even have a chance to win this case as loosing means a mark on my account toward seller stats, lost of FVF and **bleep** off buyer. (No neg feedback yet).

5. THE MOST IMPORTANT WHY I COULD WIN THE CASE? TWO DRESSES COULD NOT FIT INTO FLAT RATE PRIORITY ENVELOPE. I have this dress in size XS as well. Can photograph and demonstrate that a flat rate envelope can not close with two dresses in it.

6. Finally, I haven't responded to the case yet, so she cannot escalate it yet, but I did email her asking for the tracking number and the weight of the package off the receipt. 
Please use plain text.
winteriscoming
Community Member

Re: Return scam? Can I win the case? Please, help.

in reply to mimosa558

Stop communicating with your scammer and Choose Return for Refund in the case she opened. 

Did she open one case or two?  Which dress did she return?

See how the case proceeds after she responds to that case.

“Community just got a facelift, thanks to you! No, really. You told us it could be better & we changed it.”
Please use plain text.
mimosa558
Community Member

in reply to winteriscoming

oh yes, I sent her only one polite email asking for the weight and the tracking number. Wasn't going to say anything else. She opened one case for the size M dress. I already refunded her for the returned size S dress. She confirmed cancel transaction request. I want your help in what "respond to the case" before I do so before my deadline as I might have only one chance before she escalates it.

Please use plain text.
deltamaster
Community Member

in reply to winteriscoming

Once that is done then the buyer loads the return label DC number and viola!  Instant refund!

Please use plain text.
mimosa558
Community Member

in reply to deltamaster

oh oh... should I refund her no questions asked or TRY to tell Ebay's case people that two dresses don't fit into one envelope. This 250 loss is depressing. I make only 500 a month on Ebay

Please use plain text.
mimosa558
Community Member

in reply to mimosa558

I just had a thought... Bebe brand dresses prob do attract scammers. The brand is popular with 18 years olds.. This buyer has been buying alot on Ebay. Only going item items, like false lashes, hair gel  type stuff. Never spends more than $5-$15 dollars per transaction... I am going to quit selling Bebe. My margins on that brand are low anyway.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mimosa558

No don't refund her money no questions asked. And don't escalate the case. I would call ebay and speak to trust and safety and have them read the messages between the two of you. She can only prove she shipped one dress back, not 2. 

Please use plain text.
gotta-get-stuff
Community Member

in reply to mimosa558

So I'm reading this right...you refunded for the one she purchased on ebay and returned, right? Was the second dress also an ebay purchase or was it "off" ebay? Who did she file with-ebay or paypal? Respond to the case with "return for refund". She will have to upload the DC number for that return. And if I read that right she didn't have one for the dress she did return.

~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
eBay's "search" engine is like having a gorgeous million dollar car in the driveway and no engine under the hood.
Please use plain text.
fashion.library
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to gotta-get-stuff

drop me an email with her ID. I will add her to my blocked buyer's list

Please use plain text.
mimosa558
Community Member

in reply to mimosa558

I got lucky... She backed off. I posted a reply to my case that the item would not fit with the other item in one flat rate envelope. I thought that I had about 5% to win the case... She backed off. Wrote me next day that she received insurance money from USPS so can close the case.... Yeah... USPS issues money for insurance claims without checking the envelopes used 4 days after one files a claim!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mimosa558

Please remember to report this buyer!

It is very important for all sellers to make sure these buyers are reported. That is the only way eBay can learn about them!!

BBL: Blocked Bidder List... BIN: Buy It Now... BO: Best Offer... BR: Bid Retraction... DC: Delivery Confirmation DSR: Detailed Seller Rating FB: Feedback FRB: Flat Rate Box FVF: Final Value Fee IPR: Immediate Payment Required NARU: Not A Registered User OP: Original Poster OT: Off Topic PM: Priority Mail.... PS: Power Seller.... SNAD: Significantly Not As Described...... TRS: Top Rated Seller...... UIA: Unpaid Item Assistant..... UID: Unpaid Item Dispute
Please use plain text.