eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • FedEx One Rate

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

thelandoftenthousandlakes
Community Member

My eBay's pop-up (pop-out) window...

With the "new ebay" changes this week I've had an annoying pop-out window that slides out from the right side of my My eBay page.  It tells me every time I go there "You're currently the highest bidder." or that I've "...been outbid" in the bidding section at the top.  I don't need this window...I could always tell when I was the high bidder and when I'd been outbid. 

I have Firefox for my browser with Adblock Plus, BetterPrivacy and Secure Sanitizer settings along with all my pop-up blockers set.

With all these settings on, I am now unable to sign out at the top left drop-down menu because it gets blocked.  Is there another sign-out area on eBay, or do I have to disable some Firefox settings and accept the pop-out window?     

Thanks and crossing my fingers that there's a way to remove the window...

Please use plain text.
glenda
Community Member

Re: My eBay's pop-up (pop-out) window...

in reply to thelandoftenthousandlakes

Hi,

That sign-out is on every page on eBay, not just My eBay - could you adjust your settings to only block on the my.ebay.com urls?

Or maybe you could turn off eBay's alerts, instead:  My eBay > Account > Site Preferences > General Preferences > uncheck the various alerts.

Please use plain text.
nativelady
Community Member

I have the same pop ups only in my ebay. No way to turn them off.

And now all my purchased item are missing from my ebay page. The only way I can get to them is by the "leave feedback" shortcut. I have my ebay set to "all lists". But the only list it will show is watched items list. None for bidding or bought.

------------------------------------------------

Photobucket
Somewhere in the universe, a rock is missing it's owner.

Please use plain text.
glenda
Community Member

You MIGHT be able to turn off the outbid popups.  Go into My eBay > hover on Account > click on Site Preferences > Buying alerts on eBay pages and turn them off.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

ebay should allow the user to "opt out" of this useless and annoying , redundant, stupid bidding popup --- we being treated as if we were children.  ebay should leave well enough alone. ebay has unnessisarily tampered with sucess too many times.

Please use plain text.
glenda
Community Member

I guess i'm just practicing typing.....

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Unchecking the alerts in My eBay > Account > Site Preferences > General Preferences DO NOT stop the annoying pop-ups.  It has apparently been determined by the dough-heads at eBay that users do not need control of this annoyance.  Since the state of your bid is already indicated by the color coding, the information conveyed by the pop-up is completely superfluous and redundant.

Please use plain text.
glenda
Community Member

Hi wbranks,

Thank you for letting me know.  I never bid on anything anymore, and I have pop-ups turned off in numerous places, so I never see that eBay slide-out/pop-up/whatever and was unable to see if I could turn it off.

Please use plain text.
stan2778
Community Member

Yes This is annoying, inconvenient and insulting. I don't need a third way to tell me I'm outbid. The other feature that was disabled was the autofill on the bidding. I used to just click on the box and there was a dropdown that had my previous bids. 1 click, bidding done. Now I have to shoo the cat, push the dogs out of the way, find the keyboard, find my glasses, turn the light on, type the bid, check the bid, locate the mouse, click bid. If I am not the high bidder, same process all over again. What was a 4 second bid takes a minute or 2. can't bid on as many items as I used to! This is more convenient? what is next, a captcha on every bid?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Indeed, this popup window is very very annoying. Ebay, please remove this so called feature. What are you thinking?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Element hiding helper for Adblock Plus makes miracles here.

Please use plain text.
thelandoftenthousandlakes
Community Member

Hi again,

Now, My eBay's "You are currently the highest bidder" pop-up or slide-out window is back again after a lot of Firefox Add-ons.  Any more ideas on how do I disable it?  I've done all the un-checking in my eBay account settings (site preferences, communication preferences) that I can tell.

After installing these Firefox Add-ons:
Adblock Edge, Adblock Plus, Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon, Trueblock Plus, and Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus, I still get the slide-out pop-up window.

I've tried to right-click the pop-out box itself, and then click on "Permissions" at the top, then un-checking the "Use Default To Block Open Pop-Up Windows" section and it still doesn't disable the pop-up/slide out window.

Under the "Media" section, would un-clicking the check box for "Block Images From p.ebaystatic.com" disable the pop-up window?  I'm scared to un-check it.  ?:smileyindifferent:

But wait! 

I do have blue bars blocking out all the words at the bottom of my "Bidding, Watch List and Purchases" sections of My eBay (which I don't want).  This is probably another one of eBay's pranks though.

Thanks you for all your help.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

It would appear that eBay's developers:

1) Don't actually USE eBay...

2) Don't understand that "account settings" should apply to my account... ALL of it!

BAD design...  BAD BAD design...  back to the doghouse.

N.B. The pop-up on my eBay is NOT increasing my "opportunities" to bid...

It is actually slowing down my review of a long list of bidding and watched items.

Please use plain text.
rouleur
Community Member

It's in the best interest of eBay to encourage bidding, especially early bidding, and it may be that this new feature is intended to encourage that.  From my perspective it's so annoying and intrusive that I'll probably not bid before the end of an auction ever again just so I don't have to look at it.  Some of the changes eBay seems to make incessantly are useful and welcome, but this isn't one of them. 

Please use plain text.
lemmylugosi
Community Member

Well, I was coming here to complain about this very thing, but you've all beaten me to it!

The "pop-out\up" notifier is nothing but a huge annoyance. To the eBay powers-that-be, PLEASE CHANGE IT BACK. NO ONE WANTS THIS. ARE YOU EVEN LISTENING OUT THERE, EBAY?!? DO YOU EVEN CARE???

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Since eBay seems to like breaking things that weren't broken...

I'm annoyed at the slide open popup window also, but I did find a way to suppress them.

1. Use Firefox

2. Download and add Adblock Plus to Firefox.

3. Download and add "Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus" to Firefox

4. When that annoying popup appears, go into the element blocker and block it.

After you do this, the popup will appear for a split second each time but it will then disappear.

I hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I'm getting really sick and tired of eBay screwing with everything for no good reason. Who sits and dreams up this crap. I do not get it.

Please use plain text.
bearuk
Community Member

I understand the frustration, I felt the same way. However, on my system, windows 7 with a vanilla IE8 and ads blocked in the hosts file...

I found that by going to my account, site preferences, general preferences, buying alerts, and removing the tick box for - Outbid alerts: Show an alert on eBay if I have been outbid on items I am bidding...that the 'you're the high bidder' box went away.

Please use plain text.
the_right_stuff99
Community Member

I'm annoyed at the slide open popup window also, but I did find a way to suppress them.

So did I. I don't bid until the end of the auction.

Please use plain text.
bodyscanned
Community Member

Yep. We''ve been bidding hundreds of times per week, and, after one week of this horrible intrusion, that's it for us. No more bidding, no more buying on ebay as long as that oh-so-frustrating, intrusive, superfluous YOU'VE BEEN OUTBID!" exists.

Regrettable that ebay is apparently not paying attention to the overwhelming dislike of a feature.

Thank you for framing it articulately.

Please use plain text.