eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

Import charges - What the hell?

Hey guys!

I was buying stuff on ebay as usual, and faced a thing ive never seen before. when i wanted to pay for an item, ebay wanted to charge me with "import charges". What is this? i should be paying this to my local customs office, if they stop the package, not to ebay. Whats going on? BTW the package would go from the USA to Hungary. i attached a photo.

Please use plain text.
hondamedic
Community Member

Re: Import charges - What the hell?

in reply to emberke020

Three words, Global Shipping Program.> http://forums.ebay.com/search.jspa?q=global+shipping+program&objID=f31&cID=2001&cID=2002&fID=31

BBL: Blocked Bidder List... BIN: Buy It Now... BO: Best Offer... BR: Bid Retraction... DC: Delivery Confirmation

DSR: Detailed Seller Rating FB: Feedback FRB: Flat Rate Box FVF: Final Value Fee IPR: Immediate Payment Required

NARU: Not A Registered User OP: Original Poster OT: Off Topic PM: Priority Mail.... PS: Power Seller....

SNAD: Significantly Not As Described...... TRS: Top Rated Seller...... UIA: Unpaid Item Assistant..... UID: Unpaid Item Dispute
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to emberke020

thanks. this money is sent to the seller, or to an independent company?

Please use plain text.
kariandlarrysales
Community Member

in reply to emberke020

thanks. this money is sent to the seller, or to an independent company?

Pitney-Bowes is the GSP manager & receives you money for international shipping, a service fee & any duty/tax collected on behalf of the importing country; the seller never sees any of that money.

Please use plain text.
ownedbybear
Community Member

in reply to emberke020

Buy from a different seller.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to emberke020

Thanks guys. i'd buy from a different seller, but it turned out when i had already bought the product. Can the seller turn this off, decide not to participate in this program afterwards?

Please use plain text.
kariandlarrysales
Community Member

in reply to emberke020

Thanks guys. i'd buy from a different seller, but it turned out when i had already bought the product. Can the seller turn this off, decide not to participate in this program afterwards?

Offering Global Shipping is optional on a listing but can't be changed after the purchase is made.

The only way to do it is have the seller refund the portion of the money they received & request the transaction be cancelled. In theory, PB would refund their portion & the seller could relist without Global Shipping.

Please use plain text.
tedsrecords
Community Member

in reply to emberke020

It's a scam. Any taxes(if you are charged) are for you to deal with in your own country.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to emberke020

It's a scam. Any taxes (if you are charged) are for you to deal with in your own country.

I don't follow a third party advancing or collecting taxes and remitting these taxes owing on the importers' behalf makes this a "scam".

Keep in mind that this is how carriers of large commercial shipments deal with taxes and duties owing.

There are a lot of issues with the GSP but I think once people start calling this aspect of it a "scam" they're just looking for any excuse to not use it.

Please use plain text.
carlmarxx
Community Member

in reply to emberke020

It's a scam. Any taxes(if you are charged) are for you to deal with in your own country.

It isn't a scam.

Please use plain text.
bankhaunter
Community Member

in reply to emberke020

It would appear to be a scam when a buyer in the UK finds, despite paying it, that they are still charged VAT which has to be paid before they get their goods.

Plus it is still charged where the value of the item means no tax would be payable anyway.

Advice given on the UK boards is not to buy from any seller where it is mentioned.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to emberke020

Advice given on the UK boards is not to buy from any seller where it is mentioned.

Works for me.

Please use plain text.
bankhaunter
Community Member

in reply to emberke020

What carrier is collecting these charges that they shouldn't be?

The ones that I have heard about are from Royal Mail, they charge an £8 fee plus the VAT, if VAT is chargeable, that is if the item value is over £15, it is paid on the postage as well.

Are you sure it's VAT that's being charged and these aren't the other charges that make up the "import charges" associated with the GSP?

Unless the item is valued over £135 there is only VAT to be charged or if under £15 there is no charge, any other 'charges' are a completely unnecessary extra payment.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to emberke020

Are you sure it's VAT that's being charged and these aren't the other charges that make up the "import charges" associated with the GSP?

Unless the item is valued over £135 there is only VAT to be charged or if under £15 there is no charge, any other 'charges' are a completely unnecessary extra payment.

"Import charges" are not just VAT and duty.  You may need to read up on the GSP terms and conditions for buyers.  See section 3:

http://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to emberke020

Does ebay import charges discourage buyers from bidding?  Import charges are higher than post office custom tax and duty.  Especially for items that are normally free or without tax.

Please use plain text.
bankhaunter
Community Member

in reply to emberke020

"Import charges" are not just VAT and duty.  You may need to read up on the GSP terms and conditions for buyers.

But apart from the carrier's fee, usually between £8 - £15 depending on the carrier there are no other charges other than VAT and possible duty.

And what about items value below £15 where the buyer wold not normally expect to pay anything but still would under GSP?

This was one buyer with the problem.

http://community.ebay.co.uk/topic/Payment-Topics/Ebay-Global-Postage/18000495202?#msg18007229912

Please use plain text.
afantiques
Community Member

in reply to emberke020

unhappily the buyer never came back to say how it panned out.

=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Please use plain text.
bankhaunter
Community Member

in reply to emberke020

I suspect it will be some time before full knowledge of exactly how it works will be known if experience of other new processes is anything to go by.

I would be tempted to say the whole idea has been thought up to squeeze a bit more money out of Ebay users by offering an unnecessary service but no doubt someone will point out the virtue of avoiding problems with all those buyers who are unaware of import charges.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to emberke020

Does ebay import charges discourage buyers from bidding?  Import charges are higher than post office custom tax and duty.  Especially for items that are normally free or without tax.

Depending on the item, however, the shipping charges may be lower than what the post office can offer.

It's best to think in terms of the total cost of the transaction and not get completely fixated on one component of it.

Please use plain text.
kariandlarrysales
Community Member

in reply to emberke020

I suspect it will be some time before full knowledge of exactly how it works will be known if experience of other new processes is anything to go by.

I would be tempted to say the whole idea has been thought up to squeeze a bit more money out of Ebay users by offering an unnecessary service but no doubt someone will point out the virtue of avoiding problems with all those buyers who are unaware of import charges.

IMO, eBay has little interest in collecting peanuts in GSP referral fees, it's all about what they're calling seamless global trading. I don't make it up & even if they're not as open as some sellers/buyers would like, they're more forthcoming (if perhaps overly optimistic) with investors.

I don't believe there are a bunch of idiots running eBay, Inc. & not only will GSP not go away, it will be expanded, either the UK or Canada next.

For those that say GSP is too flawed to succeed, look no further than PayPal. Ten years ago, I wasn't happy with the idea of paying eBay, through PayPal, to accept money for me when I was perfectly able to accept payments on my own; today I couldn't make a sale without PayPal. Pretty good marketing if you ask me.

Please use plain text.