eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
585seth
Community Member

How does the Global Shipping Program work?

I'm wondering IF the global shipping program will really increase my sales without increasing my fees or headaches. I want to reach more people and get requests to ship internationally. Can anyone give me some advice?

Please use plain text.
hondamedic
Community Member

Re: How does the Global Shipping Program work?

in reply to 585seth

http://community.ebay.com/t5/International-Trading/Global-Shipping-Program-experiences/m-p/2954370#U...

http://community.ebay.com/t5/International-Trading/Major-Problem-with-the-eBay-GLOBAL-SHIPPING/m-p/1...

http://community.ebay.com/t5/International-Trading/Has-anyone-else-had-problems-with-Global-Shipping...

http://community.ebay.com/t5/International-Trading/How-to-ship-Express-Mail-with-Global-Shipping-Pro...

http://community.ebay.com/t5/International-Trading/Problem-with-global-shipping-program-need-help-pl...

BBL: Blocked Bidder List... BIN: Buy It Now... BO: Best Offer... BR: Bid Retraction... DC: Delivery Confirmation

DSR: Detailed Seller Rating FB: Feedback FRB: Flat Rate Box FVF: Final Value Fee IPR: Immediate Payment Required

NARU: Not A Registered User OP: Original Poster OT: Off Topic PM: Priority Mail.... PS: Power Seller....

SNAD: Significantly Not As Described...... TRS: Top Rated Seller...... UIA: Unpaid Item Assistant..... UID: Unpaid Item Dispute
Please use plain text.
recped
Community Member

in reply to 585seth

585seth wrote:

I'm wondering IF the global shipping program will really increase my sales without increasing my fees or headaches. I want to reach more people and get requests to ship internationally. Can anyone give me some advice?

How about offering Worldwide instead of just "Ships to:United States"

As far as the GSP goes, for cheap stuff that you sell would be a huge mistake to use GSP.

Suggest you offer worldwide with a Flat rate shipping charge, one for Canadian buyers and one for the rest of the world. Ship using First Class International.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Please use plain text.
kariandlarrysales
Community Member

in reply to 585seth

585seth wrote:

GSP - not for what you're selling.

One small change to the flat rate international shipping suggestion, I'd use calculated USPS First Class International & add a buck handling charge to the listing. Very, very, very few people, domestic or international,  are going to try & run a collector tin scam to make 15 bucks - what's the point?

One other suggestion at the weights you ship at. Parcel Select isn't a savings (might even be more expensive) over Priority Mail & you have to supply the box. Also (IMO) "expedited shipping" over "economy shipping" makes your listing more attractive & the shorter delivery time makes for happier buyers.

Create a USPS account & order the Priority boxes that you need & I think you'd be better off.

Please use plain text.
justagurlinseattle
Community Member

in reply to 585seth

585seth wrote:

Yes.... Starting with... DON'T listen to Hondamedic.....  :womanvery-happy:

~JAG~

❤Just a Gurl Living In Sweden❤

Can't a woman wreak a little havoc without there being a man involved? ~Darla from Angel ~
BtVS
Please use plain text.
hondamedic
Community Member

in reply to justagurlinseattle

justagurlinseattle wrote:

585seth wrote:

Yes.... Starting with... DON'T listen to Hondamedic.....  :womanvery-happy:

People here don't listen to you or me... They read our posts. 

BBL: Blocked Bidder List... BIN: Buy It Now... BO: Best Offer... BR: Bid Retraction... DC: Delivery Confirmation

DSR: Detailed Seller Rating FB: Feedback FRB: Flat Rate Box FVF: Final Value Fee IPR: Immediate Payment Required

NARU: Not A Registered User OP: Original Poster OT: Off Topic PM: Priority Mail.... PS: Power Seller....

SNAD: Significantly Not As Described...... TRS: Top Rated Seller...... UIA: Unpaid Item Assistant..... UID: Unpaid Item Dispute
Please use plain text.
justagurlinseattle
Community Member

in reply to 585seth

585seth wrote:

The best advice I can give you is to pick some good safe countries to ship to

like the UK... France.... Germany.... Sweden... Norway.... Copenhagen....

Then get a handle on shipping Internationally..... Offer First Class International..... 

If you get an interested buyer from a country you don't ship to....

Ask them to explain their postal system to you..... and what their Customs clearing times are....

If they understand tehir own systems, they seem to be easier to deal with

and will understand if their happens to be a delay.....

also... I TRY not to sell to lower Feedback buyers, as they are a bit jumpy on postal 

times.... If something does not arrive quick enough for them, they tend to open INR

faster.... where as more seasoned International buyers are more patient...... 

~JAG~

❤Just a Gurl Living In Sweden❤

Can't a woman wreak a little havoc without there being a man involved? ~Darla from Angel ~
BtVS
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 585seth

I am in Canada, I avoid GSP items.

the things I buy have been duty free since the 80s under NAFTA

the GSP adds amazing amounts to shipping/import and renders tracking useless as all I can get is "multiple carriers" message

regular USPS to Canada is the best way to go

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mykilldfu

mykilldfu wrote:

I am in Canada, I avoid GSP items.

the things I buy have been duty free since the 80s under NAFTA

If you're buying items manufactured in the USA or Mexico, it's unlikely that it's "duty" that you've been charged for, but rather GST/PST or HST.  Items valued at more than C$20 are subject to taxes, but if they're sent through the mail it's not necessarily a given that they'll be stopped by Canada Border Services and assessed those taxes.  It was more common to have to pay taxes on mailed shipments when my wife and I first started buying on eBay about a dozen or so years ago, not so much now.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to marnotom!

This video summaries it all....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZwZgcoc_zw

Please use plain text.
tedsrecords
Community Member

in reply to 585seth

It will decrease your sales because it will discourgage people from bidding on your items...and it will rip your customers off and they wont come back...rather, they wont have any money left to come back with

Please use plain text.
biggymbofan
Community Member

in reply to 585seth

If your goal is to reach more sellers, the Global Shipping Program GSP is probably not the way to do it because the fees for buyers are significantly higher.  The program forces sellers to use priority shipping (when 1st class is way cheaper) and charges the buyer "import fees". Outside the GSP these fees are not charged. For example, something that could be shipped for $8 to $10 first class would end up costing $22 to $26 (or more) via the GSP program.

I used to contact sellers enrolled in the program to ask them to ship with more reasonable shipping rates (i.e.. Without going through the program)  and they always gladly agreed to ship 1st class. Initially it wasn't a big deal but recently I had a transaction cancelled by a seller who couldn't figure out how to opt out of the program, even though she agrees to this BEFORE I bid. Now I won't bother and simply avoid all buyers who are in the program.

Please use plain text.