eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

Why no feedback?

As a seller, I am noticing a growing trend of not leaving any feedback once an item is delivered to the buyer.  As a seller, I always finish the deal by inputting my feedback.  I read the Q&A's relating to my question about feedback and am still bewildered.  Is it the rudeness of the 'customer' or a growing, 'mannerless' society?  Regardless of being a buyer or seller, I treat people better than I am getting as a seller.  Whatever happened to "Thank you.," for saving me money and/or giving me a good deal on the merchandise?

I offer my heartfelt Thanks to the few that have sent me "Thank You" messages and a great big "THANK YOU!" to those who have gone the rest of the way to click the stars.

Please use plain text.
deepinwesttexas
Community Member

Re: Why no feedback?

in reply to datriminoch

Not all buyers are going to leave feedback. I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep doing a great job and your feedback will build.

Some sellers have reported they get more feedback when they wait for the buyer to leave feedback first but in my experience it's about the same either way.

Just concentrate on the orders and your buyers because after all you're here for the money, not feedback.

Good Luck in what ever you do!

Community Member

in reply to datriminoch
You sound like a great, caring seller. I think you are going to
be very successful.
Please use plain text.
63tempest326
Community Member

in reply to datriminoch

I agree with Deepinwesttexas. He knows wht he's talking about.

.............and this must be post # 423,769 of buyers not leaving feedback.

Don't worry as much about feedback as the money you make.

Funny how some buyers complain about not getting feedback. LOL

"Life is really simple, but some insist on making it complicated" ~ ~ Confucius
Please use plain text.
mudshark61369
Community Member

in reply to datriminoch

If you have read the Q&As about feedback, you should know the first thing eBay says is, Leaving feedback is voluntary.  Other than that, i'd say it is today's on the go society that's to blame.  People who buy from portable devices, are less likely to leave feedback, simply because it is easier to forget to, and because it is harder trying to do so from a small screen. 

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS! (unknown)
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to datriminoch

Is it the rudeness of the 'customer' or a growing, 'mannerless' society?

I say neither.

Before the feedback changes, I got WAY more feedback from buyers. But the way it is now, buyers are asked to complete surveys on their sellers, the results of which are used to decide their sellers' fates. It's unfair to sellers to be at the mercy of buyers' comments and unfair to buyers to be responsible for their sellers' welfare. 

Most buyers are just happy to get their item as described and on time, which is what they pay their sellers to do -- just like any other on-line venue. 

Please use plain text.
stinky*felix
Community Member

in reply to datriminoch

Datriminoch, I have also noticed a dramatic drop in the number of buyers who leave feedback.  I am receiving less feedback than ever before.  In fact, it has become an exception for a buyer to leave feedback than to not leave it.

I don't know what the reason is.  I know there have been glitches where members have not been able to leave feedback.  But, the decrease has taken place since eBay put DSRs in place, so I think a lot of buyers believe they need to do both so they don't bother.

And, I leave feedback before I ship their item so it isn't because they are waiting for me to leave it for them.

* * * * * * Always act like you are wearing an invisible crown. * * * * * *
Please use plain text.
bijousbijoux
Community Member

in reply to datriminoch

As an old time buyer, and I have 400+ positives and no negatives, I do not understand why buyers do not take the time to leave feedback.  I always did and the sellers always did.  I have started selling recently and I do my best to sell fairly and send off shipment immediately after payment.  I actually run around to get things off to the post office.  I do not understand why there are no feedback left for my transactions.  I could sure use it to build my eBay business. Disappointing, but am I old fashioned?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to datriminoch
Not getting feedback is really cool!....at this rate will be a turquoise star for a very long time.Thanks for all my good sellers out there for realizing that I'm a serious buyer that has no need for feedback.But will leaving all my sellers 5 star feedback.to help offset the times you get begged by the idiot buyer.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mysticlady7
I only want one of two things. My item (if buying) or my money (if selling). I don't give 2 cents about FB. There is nothing I can't buy or sell on ebay with my current FB. If I don't ever get another FB it wouldn't matter to me. I am just as likely to buy from someone with 30FB as I am with 10,000FB. As a matter of fact, I might be inclined to go with the lower FB seller as too many of the high FB sellers have provided poor service to me in the past.

FB is only a number and it means little to me. People need to get over it. After about 25 it means nothing anyway.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
steve577
Community Member

in reply to fniguy22

fniguy22 wrote:
I only want one of two things. My item (if buying) or my money (if selling). I don't give 2 cents about FB.

Please use plain text.
63tempest326
Community Member

in reply to fniguy22

etacarinae11 & fniguy22 are correct.

Most good smart buyers don't care about feedback. Only the items they buy.

That's the way it should be.

Ego challenged people have a problem that only they should deal with.

"Life is really simple, but some insist on making it complicated" ~ ~ Confucius
Please use plain text.
deepinwesttexas
Community Member

in reply to 63tempest326

You're right Temp!

The best buyers don't obsess over feedback timing. They know it's not important.

On the other hand ego challenged feedback beggars always make the worst buyers.

Community Member

in reply to datriminoch

I have learned one thing, Selling in the categoy you have had no problems is where to stay. Branching off to other categories could be a mistake. In my case I found a bunch of gas and oil stuff from a collector all antique advertising. I listed a few of the cheaper stuff first. All 4 items listed under gas and oil. 1 buyer bought all 4 items left 3 neg fb. I have tons of this stuff left. I think they are going to antique auction. If I stayed in my original category where never had no problems I think I could of avoided this neg activity. Before that I had nothing but thank you's and how much they loved the sign and held TRS - Power seller it was easy and fun. 

Please use plain text.
brewdogdanny
Community Member

in reply to steve577

I would like to know why you care? Fact is buyer fb is useless, Seller fb is useless etc. I'm not explaining again.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to steve577

I want to leave feedback when paid when I'm selling.

And when would that be? Next year?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to lgustaf

lgustaf wrote:

I want to leave feedback when paid when I'm selling.

And when would that be? Next year?

Yes, it seems the members with the least amount of actual vested use of the site spend most of their time trying to disrupt and abuse the policies.

Feedback is voluntary
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bijousbijoux

No, I don't think you're old fashioned just a respectful honest caring person. All these qualities are becoming a thing of the past.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jeffsartglass
Making the wrong assumptions about what fb is usually leads to the wrong conclusions too.

FB is not about courtesies, receipts, or proving how wonderful a person you might be.
Feedback is voluntary
Please use plain text.
daltvila420
Community Member

in reply to datriminoch

datriminoch wrote:

As a seller, I am noticing a growing trend of not leaving any feedback once an item is delivered to the buyer.  As a seller, I always finish the deal by inputting my feedback.  I read the Q&A's relating to my question about feedback and am still bewildered.  Is it the rudeness of the 'customer' or a growing, 'mannerless' society?  Regardless of being a buyer or seller, I treat people better than I am getting as a seller.  Whatever happened to "Thank you.," for saving me money and/or giving me a good deal on the merchandise?

I offer my heartfelt Thanks to the few that have sent me "Thank You" messages and a great big "THANK YOU!" to those who have gone the rest of the way to click the stars.

You're taking the right approach- IMO. Leaving feedback for all paying customers is a simple (and great) customer service tool. Besides, eBay bases a sellers performance on completed transactions- not the feedback received for those transactions. No feedback is second-best only to 5-star +FB.

Whatever happened to "Thank you.," for saving me money and/or giving me a good deal on the merchandise?

A silent buyer is typically a happy buyer. They may not leave feedback, but you can be fairly certain you'd be hearing from them if they were unhappy. I guess sending cleared payment, and keeping the purchased item could be seen as a form of "Thanks!"

Sellers shouldn't care whether their paying customers take the time to leave feedback; but should always leave feedback for their paying customers.

Please use plain text.