eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
Community Member

Coyote Rollers on the Fence - Anyone Tried Them?

I justlearned of their existence today, and it looks like a brilliant idea to keep dogs from jumping in or out of your yard fence. They can't get a foothold on the top of the fence - they are just rolled off. Has anyone tried them, and what do you think? I have a rescue Aussie who constantly examines every inch of every fence for a potential weakness that he can use to get through and go in search of adventure. He let my show puppy out this way yesterday, and I was terrified one of my neighbors would shoot him simply because he was there near their cattle. I have buried cinder blocks under the fenceline itself to discourage digging, patched any weak spots with 2x4 ranch wire, and put 3 strands of barbed wire on top of the 4' chain link fences. The roller might be more effective than the barbed wire, and certainly safer. Ideas???? I can't have them digging out or going over/though fences in a farming area. They were VERY lucky I caught them yesterday. And I"m VERY lucky the neighbors were asleep and didn't catch me in their pasture catching the dogs.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to obsidiancoyote
I've never heard of them but they sound like they would work.
“All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent” — Thomas Jefferson
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Where there's a will, there's a way. Dogs are like Houdini's in fur! LOL Sharlotte
My Ebay Blog for news on Scrapadeedoodah
and Scrapping With Faith Ebay Groups
http://blogs.ebay.com/sharlottehughes
Please use plain text.
noahiam
Community Member

I never ever use barb wire. It can cut a horse to pieces esp. if it breaks and winds around them. I use hot wire on the bottoms and tops. Stops dogs and whatever. It's already kept stay dogs out and saved my goats. Our dogs have found not to bother messing around the fence.
Only when the last tree has been cut down
Only when the last river has been poisoned
Only after the last fish has been caught
Only then will you find money cannot be eaten
~~ Cree Prophecy ~~
Hate is like burning down a house to kill the fleas. Not worth it!!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I have never heard of them or used them.

Here is a link that shows a video demo. It sure sounds like a great idea

http://www.coyoteroller.com/coyote_roller

I would think the movement and the sound would deter. Sure looks safer than the barbed wire.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Man! I wish I had known about those when the evil white-trash people that live behind me were letting their pit bull drop into my yard and attack my dog. The pit is gone, but they have a bouncing German Shepherd that is trying desperately to grab a foothold on the top of my wall--i don't know what it's jumping up and down on, but it sounds like a plastic table. They don't control their animals, the siding is falling off the house, the roof is mostly just bare plywood since the shingles have fallen off, and their yard is full of trash and plain old garbage, so there are pigeons, flies and cockroaches by the swarm over there. Unfortunately they don't stay over there! But this could keep their dogs out of my yard at least.
Thanks for posting that link!
Please use plain text.
noahiam
Community Member

muddy if I had a neighbor dog trying to get into my yard it would stop NOW. There's many ways of doing this. What do you do? Have you talked to them about training it? A tight line of hot wire at the top with make that dog think twice about coming near your fence. Fencers don't cost that much. They have cheaper ones that do the job very well.
~~ Cree Prophecy ~~
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I'll bet you could improvise rollers with PVC or salvaged metal pipe fairly inexpensively. It might not look beautiful, but having your yard to yourself is a beautiful thing..
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I have heard of Coyote Rollers and even looked into buying them. I have a decent size yard and so found out I couldn't afford them. They are 4 ft. long and cost 28.00 ea. (this includes the mounting hardware and instructions.)
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hi Noah,
We tried to talk to the neighbors but they called the police and said that we were harassing them. We have called the police, animal control, code compliance--anyone we can think of as have about a dozen other neighbors and no one will do anything. In fact, the last time the pit was in our yard, my husband practically beat it to death and had to stab it several times just to get it off of our dog. Our dog Jack almost died frm his injuries--keep in mind that this is the second time this dog did this and the second $1000+ vet bill to save our dog. When we took him to the vet for a follow-up, we found out that they had taken the pit there and given them some sob story about how we're white supremacists who lured the dog into our yard so that we could hurt it. This happened at 5:00 in the morning after I had gotten home from work at 2:00am. We had just gone to sleep two hours earlier and my husband ran outside to battle this dog buck naked. Yeah, right--someone who planned this would fight a pit bull naked in the dark? Luckily, after the first time that this happened, we kept a camera by the back door since the police first said that they couldn't do anything without photos. We have pics of the dog on the fence from the day before, pics of it with its jaws around Jack's throat, pics of my husband fighting it off and pics of it trying to come into my house after I managed to get jack inside. And the genius from animal control believed these people--until his supervisor saw the pics.
Thankfully, they got rid of the dog (then then started claiming that they never had a pit bull--they had six at the time of the second attack.) Just horrible people.
Anyway, I told my husband about these coyote rollers and he said that they sounded like something we should definitely consider. Very grateful to the OP for posting!
Please use plain text.
noahiam
Community Member

until his supervisor saw the pics.

Why do they always seem to hire these peons that know nothing and only care about their pay check?? I'm glad they got rid of the Monster.
~~ Cree Prophecy ~~
Please use plain text.
Community Member

these peons that know nothing

That's the way it is here too. Beats me why halfway knowledgable staff isn't important.

At least you got + response to the photos. The person I got photos of trespassing and stealing claimed she had permission to be here (not!) and that she had bought waht she was taking in the photos (not!) and that I had insisted on cash and refused to give her a receipt (ask anyone I have done business with - I'll chase you down the driveway as you are leaving to give you paperwork!). SO no results.
“All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent” — Thomas Jefferson
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Muddy, Kudos to your presence of mind to snap photos under such duress. Not everyone would have been able to do so. I think I'd be thinking antifreeze meatballs after that. Yeah, I guess you could give some to the pitbull, too! LOL
Please use plain text.
Community Member

:^O
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Believe me, we did think of the antifreeze meatballs but then we were also afraid that they would do the same thing to our dogs. In fact, the vet (who didn't believe their story BTW) warned us that they might throw poisoned meat over the fence into our yard, so i don't know if they said something along that line to the vet or if he was just warning us that he thinks they're crazy.
By the way--I swear I wasn't trying to hijack your thread! LOL!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

And for the life of me, i can't figure out why, with all the foreclosures in Las Vegas (Yes, I admit it---I no longer live in the country, but it makes me feel better to come among you in the country/rural style group!) why their falling-down, piece of crap hovel isn't in foreclosure!
Please use plain text.