cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help with heavy crucifixtion piece looks like chalkware ??

this piece came from my grandparents estate, i believe they came here in the 1920's from the Russian side of Poland. It is quite heavy and looks to be made out of some type of plaster ?? The  crucifixtion scene is also painted. Could this have come from a church or just something that my grandparents purchased from a store here. Maybe it was bought as an outdoor grotto or shrine piece but i would be worried aboutkeeping it outdoors.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

In my xperience many Catholic families have a shrine area in their home to light candles, say prayers in front of etc. This was probably bought for that reason, were they devout Catholics?

Probably not Polish or Russian, or it would not be in English. Plaster? Looks like a good quality one 🙂

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

It is hard to tell from a picture... but I think this is old chalkware! The Catholic Religion made tons of items from chalkware many years aog!

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I may be off-base here, but the rosettes on top, the goblet with the cross, and the crossed sword makes me think it may be related to the Rosicrucians and/or Knights Templar.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Or made to look as if it's related.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Look like one of the Station's of the Cross to me. Good luck

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I didn't know that chalkware was so heavy. Would this be ok for an outdoor grotto or shrine ??

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

yes, I think this is one of the stations of the cross.  It looks like the wall mounted stations of the cross pieces in a Catholic church. What category would I list this under ??

Message 8 of 8
latest reply