cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cast iron wall 3 light i think this is antique

I'm not sure what to call this or the style. Cast iron with might be called gold gilt, again not sure. It has numbers on the back and is electric. Hope you can help me. 100_5071.JPG100_5073.JPG100_5074.JPG100_5076.JPGbottom missing piece is it  called finialbottom missing piece is it called finial

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: cast iron wall 3 light i think this is antique

Doesn't look like Cast Iron to me.    

Test w/ magnet?

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

magnet sticks to the bar holding the lights but not lights or back piece that goes on the wall. what does the magnet show? How would I describe this ? thank you

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

It'll show you if it's brass or not, not sticking to the Brass part which is the goldish looking part was telling you it's brass if it sticks then it probably has a metal or iron pipe with the electrical wires going through. As for description I would say it was  vintage  brass 3 light wall sconce. You might also put in there about the magnet that let people know more about it.

Myra
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

non-magnetic metal is a good phrase to use if you're not sure if it's brass
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

The cast parts are probably spelter, a zinc alloy.   Most lamps of this type are.

A little scratch (on the back) will be yellow inside if brass, and silver if spelter.

The tubular parts are probably brass 'washed' steel.   

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I know this isn't my post, but I have a quick question about brass. I have a pair of old and dimes how do I know if there brass or not?

Myra
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

thank you for all the information.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply