cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mid Century Modern Lamp/Lighting ID HELP with beautiful glass sconce, wall lamp very large

My hours of researching this piece has brought up only a few "Kind of" options as who made it, where, age, etc... 

I purchased at a rummage sale in West Michigan, along the lake shore. I was unsuccessful in getting any info from previous owners, other than, he said, it was in his grandmother's basement for at least 30 or more, years. His grandmother is in her mid 80s.

By looking at it, I know this much.

• The only marks I see, are numbers located at each place there is welding. The #s are stamped into the metal, inside the frame. I think was to let the welder know where the metal frame needed to be welded together??? 
  • The electrical hardware tells me it's aged to around the 1970s, possibly late 60s. 
  • The previous owners, painted over the original metal housing frame, which was white, and now is a burgundy. It was a sloppy paint job too. So, if there were any hallmarks, stickers, or signatures, they've been painted over or removed.
  • The metal frame houses the electrical hardware, and 4 candelabra style bulbs. Inside, there's also, 6- stem/posts with holes for mounting the glass to the metal frame. 
  • There are 3- large rectangular pieces of glass w/ 2 holes drilled on each for mounting to the metal frame
  • Deep ruby-red, cobalt blue, and the golden-yellow piece has a faint hue of purple around the edges of the glass that just fades into the yellow. 
  • All three pieces are slightly different sizes, thickness, and significantly different shapes. All curl, slightly inward, and have the same type of texture and iridescent sheen (front side only)
  • There are 6-  Solid brass button type screws that are used to mount the glass to the metal frame. 
  • Measurements- 
  • Metal Frame- total= 17 1/4" wide X 11 5/8" long, the back is flush mount and is:     14-1/2" w X 9-7/8" l. The mounting post, top two and bottom two, stand up at 3-3/8" and the middle set is 3-7/8"
  • Brass Button Screws- 3/4" Diam. 1" long, they look like they were hand tooled specific for this piece. 
  • Glass pieces
  • Red- 21.1/2" wide X 5.1/2" long
  • Yellow- 22.1/2" wide X 5.6" long
  • Blue- 22. 1/2" wide X 5. 1/4" long
  • All have thickness of 1/4" to 1/2" thick
  • Entire piece weighs about 15 pounds

The only damage I can see is that there are small chips around the holes of the glass pieces. Which you can only see when the pieces are not mounted, otherwise they are hidden behind the brass bolts. I Assuming the chipping  was caused from the lamp being moved, jossled around, and the glass rubbing against the metal post and brass screws. I placed simple rubber washers to buffer any further damage.

I'm hoping to find out any info on this lamp. I intend on listing it for sale soon and it would be greatly appreciated if anyone knows about this lamp.

Thanks in advance.

Sconce1.JPG IMG_9499.JPG

IMG_9456.JPG IMG_9478.JPG Sconce2.JPG

IMG_9486.JPG  IMG_9492.JPG IMG_9491.JPG

IMG_9494.JPG  IMG_9495.JPG Sconce6.JPG

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Mid Century Modern Lamp/Lighting ID HELP with beautiful glass sconce, wall lamp very large

OP,

Didn't you ask about this lamp last year on the PGP board.?

I recall you were given some very good advice/information at that time.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Re: Mid Century Modern Lamp/Lighting ID HELP with beautiful glass sconce, wall lamp very large

You're correct, I did post last year. However, I was hoping that someone with "fresh" eyes would see it and recognize it as something they've seen before (not including my post from a year ago) And yes, I am happy with the information and advise I received. However, this lamp has a history and I guess my interest in the "who and what" is more important than the value of it. 

Also, I'm curious to know if there is a limit to posting questions on the same item, or is it simply faux pas to post a question (same item) more than once in a lifetime? I didn't see that in the rules.

By the way, what does OP stand for?

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

OP = Original Post or Poster.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thanks. I don't get on these forums as much as I should. Therefore, I'm not hip on all the lingo.
I have a question that you may be able to help me with.
I'm looking for my "OP" from a year or so ago. How do I find it? It's not coming up under my "Recent posts."
Message 5 of 5
latest reply