cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any idea what this is?

I know these aren't antiques but this board has such a wide range of knowlege, and since I have no idea which Board I should be posting to, I thought I would try here.  I picked up two of these large, 8-1/2" tall "bulbs" soley for the reason that I didn't know what they were.  The material looks like the mercury glass liner you would find inside a thermos bottle.  Each weighs about 10 oz and one has a paper sticker that reads " D.U.B. 5 11 23  Diamond, V,B "  and one has an embossed "430 1L" in the glass top.   One is all silver, the other has a rose tone to the glass.  Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Any idea what this is?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Any idea what this is?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Any idea what this is?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Any idea what this is?

They look like thermos bottles to me.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Any idea what this is?

There was a time when you could buy extra inserts for your thermos bottles! pretty sure this is what they are... 🙂

Here is one Aladdin brand :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aladdin-Thermos-Bottle-Replacement-Filler-No-012C-Pint-or-012-012B-/17151205...

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Any idea what this is?

Looks like vintage laboratory.Not a expert, but have had much of it over the years.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Any idea what this is?

I agree that they are replacement Thermos inserts.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Any idea what this is?

Thank you all!  I agree they look like thermos inserts, but I have never seen a (vintage) thermos this shape, and that little glass "nipple" on each doesn't seem like it would tolerate life in a thermos.  Your ideas certainly have given me some places to research.  Thanks again.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply