cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antique Art Decco Desk? - Looking for thoughts on style, age and value

Antique Art Decco  Desk? - Looking for thoughts on style, age and value.  This desk has been around since I was a kid, I think it came from a New England town library.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Antique Art Decco Desk? - Looking for thoughts on style, age and value

It looks like an arts and crafts sytle desk.  I have seen this type also described as mission style.  I think it copies  the Stickley styling.

But I am wondering if the drawer pulls are original because they look a bit ornate for this kind of desk.

Age?  I would guess mid-Century or earlier. 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Definetely Arts & Crafts style that dates from 1890's to 1910's, and was mostly made in the Upper Mid-West, especially Michigan & Western New York. The majority of the pieces were made of Oak with a dark finish that was fume treated to permeate the finish into the wood surface.The leading companies making this this type of furniture was Gustave Stickley, Stickley Bros., Limbert, & etc. with the pieces being of superior quality and are highly prized and expensive. A lot of the pieces from these companies were marked, with the mark usually found in an inconspicious location on the piece. The mass produced pieces, such as your desk, were made by lesser known companies, and were used in schools, libraires, office enviorments, and etc. As for the handles, most usually the preferred material used was matching wood or hammered copper, so I would suspect the brass handles on your desk are not original.   

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Can you give some examples of where on the piece the maker's mark might be located?   There is a similar desk to this that has been in my family for a long time.  I never thought it was by a famous maker, but now I'll take a look. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

The easiest way I have found to search for a makers mark on your type of desk is to turn it completely over and look at all the surfaces such as the legs, brace supports, slats and bottom of the top. Also, if it has a drawer pull it completely out and check all the surfaces on it. The higher quality pieces that are marked was usually done with a brand permantly  buned into the wood. The mass produced pieces may not be marked, or will have a paper label that was glued or stapled to the wood, and could possiblity have been removed or lost thru the years.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply