cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antique Americana Jug with American Eagle. Age? Provenance? Please. Thank you!

Hello Everyone,

Can anyone identify the American Eagle design on this very old jug in order to get an idea of its approximate age and maybe its provenance? (as there are no other markings)? It has unfortunately been turned into a lamp - big depreciation of its value? The "GE" electrical cord is also old, maybe from the '30s or '40s. Thank you for your help.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Antique Americana Jug with American Eagle. Age? Provenance? Please. Thank you!

The jug is salt glazed stoneware that dates, according to the shape, from the 1870's to 1890's and could have been made by several different pottery companies during that time. The eagle is a decal that appears to be from the 1910's to 1930's and was applied to the jug during that time period. Unfortunely the jug being drilled for the electrical cord does deter the value although it can be repaired. 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Re: Antique Americana Jug with American Eagle. Age? Provenance? Please. Thank you!

Hello lyons-pride! Thank you so much for your answer. Do you think there is any possibility to find out more about its provenance (state, maker?). Do you think the value of this jug is important enough to warrant a probable costly repair? (Also, who to contact? Just a normal potter ?  or some professional? This can be hard to track down I think.  Thank you very much again.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Sorry for the delay in answering your message. My guess is the jug was made by the Red Wing Pottery located in Red Wing, Minnesota. As far as reparing the hole in it anyone that works in, or makes pottery  could probably repair it withot much cost. If you don't know of anyone that works in pottery check with a local antique store/mall and they would know of someone. As for value, I attended an auction today where a 6-gallon jug like yours in excellent shape, with cobalt decoration, only brought $125.00.  However the value can change baed on location. Hope this helps, and good luck.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Hello lyons-pride! Sorry also to be late in responding! Just read your most interesting info on this jug. I am very impressed by your knowledge. I would'nt have know where to look for this information. Thank you very much for your kind help.  You made me very happy.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply