cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what kind of stone? date?

I usually just deal with signed costume jewelry.  Bought this at an estate sale and I think it is handmade.  It is marked 18K on the necklace.  What kind of stone do you think this is?  Thanks.DSC_0009a.jpgDSC_0011a.jpgDSC_0005.JPG

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Hi,

Very nice set. It would be hard to know date of piece as you are correct in thinking it's handmade.

I have been creating wire wrapped jewelry for years very similar to yours.

The wire metal that encases the cabachons could be sterling. Sterling is soft and easy to work with and easy to wrap around stones.

The stone might be amazonite. Or it could be Montana marble. I really can't see the close up vains and particulars in the stones.

I would look up amazonite, light blue Montana marble, smooth turquiose cabachons, etc. and see how close your stone matches the pics.

For my handmade sets like that, at shows, I will charge anywhere from 30 to 50 dollars depending on the venue, the materials, etc.

Good luck, it's a pretty set.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thanks so much.  Another friend thinks its larimar and it certainly looks like what I've googled.  And it is actually stamped 18K so that's how I've advertised it.  Do you think there is reason to believe it isn't if its hand twisted like that?  I'm not familiar at all with this type of jewelry.  Thanks again.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

If the chain is stamped 18K, I would make sure in the posting that is clear, that it's the chain that's 18K.
I often use vintage chains, (18K, sterling, etc), to put my pieces on but the piece I made might be silver coated wire, copper wire or stainless or sterling. So just because the chain is marked 18K doesn't mean the wire on the jewelry piece is sterling or 18K. Of course I always let my customers know what the wire is.
If you could test the wire to see if it's sterling or another precious metal I would do that.
I used to use have an acid test kit, that I would use when I would go through my vintage auction found jewelry.
Maybe to be on the safe side, and to avoid a dreaded SNAD, I would post that just the chain is 18K and the wire is unknown material, and that it is an artisan made piece, no makers mark.
Like I said, most likely, the wire is sterling. When people make hand made pieces like that they don't stamp the wire as to what sort of metal it is. I buy spools of silver wire, different grades and I just cut off what I need for my piece. So the wire is not marked. But I always let the buyer know what type of metal wire I used.
Your piece shows a little darkening in the twists which leads me to believe that it is silver wire and it has tarnish.
Hope this helps! (or maybe just confused you lol) 🙂

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Very helpful!  Thanks a lot.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply