cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please identify this earring finding? Mounting disk to make pearl cab sit higher?

Hello,

any old masters out there? I am trying to repair a set of earrings with round pearl cabs set in 10K. Apparently the cabs were each sitting on a pearl or pearl colored plastic button, that made the round pearl ( mabe/cab) sit higher.

I only have one to work with, and I cant even find the proper NAME for the findings, so that I can find them and buy them.

Without these "seats" the cabs will sit far too low in the settings.

the  pearls are 10 mm

can anyone help me find these findings?

Thank you /picture example attached.

Ya can't win a home run if you don't step UP to the plate" /Babe Ruth
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Please identify this earring finding? Mounting disk to make pearl cab sit higher?

Is it like a doublet bottom? Just a W.a.g.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Re: Please identify this earring finding? Mounting disk to make pearl cab sit higher?

Thanks I will try searching for that...

Susan

Ya can't win a home run if you don't step UP to the plate" /Babe Ruth
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

gauntlet is correct. 

Yay!! I was right about something!!!! woo hoo I better mark this down

Thank you 😉
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Hi this is quite common for Mabe' pearl earrings. A lot are made in Indonesia these days. 

You don't say what the problem is with the findings or post and scrolls?.The post appears by your picture to just go through a hole in the bar across the earring shape itself. Is the post not soldered at this juncture?. Is it loose and just floating? 

The nacre is grown these days on a either plastic hollow dome or solid dome, not many are grown on mother of pearl unless by one of the more expensive growers. Often they come away as the pearl nacre will shrink if it is dried out . The glue required to attach the two shapes together  is best if it is applied around the rim. As trying to apply the glue all over the nacre usually ends up with this fine mother of pearl shell . Then there is the packing. the other layer you have. This is also not unusual as the mabe' pearl half bead is often a different depth to the next matching pearl. They are not always the same depth. as The pearl must be cut away from the shell. Often the shell is trimmed and the nacre and dome mould will come apart at this point. (these cheaper domes dent easily so be careful. ). 

finding a packing piece it pays to use a mother of pearl disc or old button polish and shaped till you get the same depth as the other earring. 

Sort out each problem in case you cannot get matching findings or packing back at this time, perhaps later. Either way. the hollow dome mabe' earrings must be handled with care. The plastic dome will flex if you are not careful. These were made to make the earrings lighter and very much cheaper than using Mother of pearl as the dome for the nacre to grow on. 

If you have an accident and only end up with one. Use a coin mount for either a pendant or ring. Charm.

Charm Affair or Charm
Message 6 of 6
latest reply