cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pearl Help! Anyone have any knowledge of Pearls?

I have no idea how to test for, or price Pearls...these look to be just natural pearls...Any help would be greatly appreciated 🙂

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

And I can't seem to upload a picture ... maybe some help on that too lol!

First timer here

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Hi there,
I download my pics from my phone into my computer and put them some place I can find them. I label them "ebay pics" you can name yours whatever you want.
When posting a message, it's the same as when you are putting up something for sale. Look for the little camera icon, click on that, choose your pic. You will see a box where the pic uploaded. to the right of the box there is an area that you can choose Large, Med, Small. I usually choose small because the pics will be really big if you check large. CLick upload or OK I can't remember.
Pearls are a tricky item. There are some really nice pearls that have been cultured and are worth a lot. Are they knotted in between the pearls? Check the clasp, is it marked sterling or gold? or Japan?, etc.
I would google something like, Guide to identifying Vintage Pearls, or How do I Identify real pearls?.
Or you best bet, if you know a nice jeweler, take them there.
There were also some great faux pearl necklaces made in Japan in the 40's that bring a good dollar also. There are alot of variables in pearl necklaces.
Good luck!! Have fun....I hope I didn't confuse you too much 🙂
PS Love the name Atomic Attic!
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I posted before I saw the pics. LOL
Those do look like natural pearls. The necklace looks modern, recent.
I make jewelry and I buy natural pearls like that from a jewelry supply.
While beautiful, they do not have a very high value.
I buy small bags of pearls for about 10.
It's a very pretty necklace.
Check for a name, makers mark on clasp.
Good luck!
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I'm still not seeing any photos!

On the subject of the material of the clasp, I am 68 and have quite a number of fake pearls from the 50s and 60s--and they all have sterling or gold clasps.  Silver (before the Hunt brothers) and gold (before the gold standard was dropped) were really quite cheap and and could be added to imitiation gems without really increasing the cost, especially when it was something as small as a clasp.  So, although it might be a clue, it's not very reliable.

Some of my fakes and cultured pearl necklaces have become mixed up and I can't tell the difference.  Must needs take a trip to the jeweller's, lol!

Lea
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Your photos are not showing up for me either Atomic.

If I could make a suggestion, Google cultured pearls vs natural pearls.  There is a wealth of information  explaining the differences.  Cultured and freshwater pearls, while formed in a mollusk, are induced by man, where natural pearls occur naturally and are extremely rare and a full necklace would have a value in the million dollar stratosphere.

I know, I know, you will find all over eBay vendors referring to cultured and freshwater pearls as natural, but that doesn't make it right.  Cultured/Freshwater pearls are beautiful in their own right, but it would take a skilled jeweler and an x-ray of each pearl to determine that they are indeed natural.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply