cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Makers mark on bracelet

Hi guys I was wondering if anybody could help me figure out the makers Mark on this bracelet I have tried to take plenty of photos to get it to come out clear but this is the best I could get I apologize if this is it in the correct category.9D4EB779-4279-43F7-92F2-E0FB48192892.jpeg6EB93104-A2E0-4AF4-A08F-6FEAEBF6DB18.jpeg

baybgrlus
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Makers mark on bracelet

I can make out Mexico.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

You have it upside down in the photos. This bracelet is marked MEXICO, and depending upon its age, that may be an eagle mark above the word MEXICO.

Eagle stamps were used from 1955-1979, with numbers in the center of each eagle assigned to various platerias (silversmiths) and jewelry manufacturers/ateliers. There are 2 shapes of eagle marks, an older and a newer; they frequently are mistaken for bells.

Are you using your camera's macro setting when taking photos of this mark? If not, try again using that setting, with the bracelet mark shown right side up. You will get a much clear photo that may enable us to identify the center stamp with greater certainty.

Don't miss eBay Radio!
Via the archives 24/7
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I tried to edit my original answer but ran out of time. So let me add this info as a separate reply: It looks as if the full maker's mark is actually a circle, with the upper half being the word TAXCO. The city of Taxco has been the epicenter of Mexico's silver industry ever since the early 20th century, when William Spratling and other now-legendary designers set up shop in what was then a fairly small town.

The go-to reference for identifying marks on Mexican silver items is The Little Book of Mexican Silver Trade and Hallmarks by Bille Hougart. It is well worth purchasing the latest edition of this definitive source if you handle even a small amount of Mexican silver jewelry, because it might just pay for itself in a single transaction.

For us, it paid for itself many times over when we listed a rare ring that sparked a bidding war from $79 to $480 (bids jumped from $250 to $480 in the last 8 seconds!). Without Hougart's book, I would have had absolutely no idea what a treasure we had.

I'd be curious to see what the rest of your bracelet looks like, if you'd be willing to post more photos here and/or provide a link to your listing…thanks!

Hope this torrent of info helped.

Don't miss eBay Radio!
Via the archives 24/7
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

p.s. I should clarify re: my statement about Hougart's book paying off "for us" — I have a client who specializes in estate jewelry, and he's the eBay seller who profited from my correct identification of his unusual ring. I don't sell under this ID.

Don't miss eBay Radio!
Via the archives 24/7
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Wow thank you so much for the information I took photos with my phone so I’m not sure if that option is available. Kind of old-school over here but willing to learn:)

baybgrlus
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Well great let me see if I can get some updated photos

baybgrlus
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

OK it looks like Mexico to me. Took photos and turn it upside down. I don’t have this listed I was thinking about listing it but I want to get information on it first. 9F95BA04-6637-49A9-BFDD-3CEE2910A189.jpegBE6EBC69-61FF-4FA7-B73C-F18FE118FF1C.jpeg6B145830-F4F6-4FB2-BDF4-64A3C898B79E.jpeg1968F96C-C3C1-469C-BA3E-70D3D445C7D7.jpeg26F82CAA-296A-4586-A7C8-D286DAA29EA2.jpeg

baybgrlus
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Definitely says "Mexico," but I am unfamiliar with the other marks.  If I were you I would have it tested for silver purity before offering for sale.  Good luck!

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Will do I just bought a test kit 🙂

baybgrlus
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Nice Information to file away.  Thank you.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

OK so I was looking further along the bracelet I was using my 10x magnifier. It ppears to be a C or an S can’t make this out but it’s a letter of some sort or maybe in an error I don’t know:)

A20976ED-88AA-46A6-A8BB-F28CDB1744DE.jpeg

baybgrlus
Message 12 of 12
latest reply