cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F.M. co Sterling silver locket.

jchernandez02
Enthusiast
I was wondering if some one could help me I have a sterling silver locket octagon in shape it has a fixed triangle bale. The closing clasp has a hook like arm with a ball on the end to keep it closed the front of the locket has finely pin striped detail and an octagon engraved in the middle for monogram or initials or something but nothing is there. When opened it opens from top to bottom. On the inside when opened the locket still has its celloids and original rings still intact there are no markings on the inside of the locket except on the rings themselves which have sterling on one end of the ring and F.M.CO on the other end both rings are marked in this fashion but nothing else. When closed on the back side of the locket it is smooth no markings of any kind just plain. It weighs 8.6 grams or .30 oz but I was wondering if anyone could tell me the age and about how much this is worth
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: F.M. co Sterling silver locket.

Don't know if this is any help but it's the only thing I could find. F.M.Co Frederick Marquand Was silver smith in mid to late 1800's. 1820's in New York,N.Y. Signed with oblong punch; also F.M. Wish I could be of more help. Maybe TH,Mary or Susan can add more. Nancy
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Hi, me again just brousing and found this. Hope it helps. Nancy Family Links Frederick Marquand Born: 6 Apr 1799, Fairfield CT Died: 14 Jul 1882, Southport CT General notes: Silversmith Events in his life were: • Alternate Mark • He learned the silversmith craft in firms with which his father was connected, and in January 1820 returned to Savannah to enter into partnership with his cousin, Josiah Penfield, forming the firm of J. PENFIELD & Co. On Sept. 3, 1822 he married Hetty Perry of Mill Plain, Conn. He remained in Savannah until the first of the year 1826, when he returned to New York and established a business at the same address as that of his father, 166 Broadway. There is still considerable silver extant bearing his mark. The New York City directories carried his name as a jeweler at 166 Broadway until 1830-31, when the firm MARQUAND & BROTHER supplanted it at the same address. This evidently included his younger brother, Josiah Penfield Marquand. Two years later the firm name appeared as MARQUAND & BROTHERS. According to our information, Isaac Marquand had three sons, Frederick, Josiah, and Henry, but Henry was born April 11, 1819, and it seems improbable that he would be a member of the firm early enough to be included in the 1832-33 directory. In 1833 the firm, moved to 181 Broadway, was changed to MARQUAND & Co., and so it remained until after the death of Isaac in 1838, and the withdrawal of Frederick and Henry in 1839. Josiah P. had probably died in 1837. The Marquand Pavilion of Bellevue Hospital, New York, was erected in 1877 by Frederick and Henry Marquand in memory of their brother, Josiah P. It is a ward for women and children. 12 • Apprenticed about 1812 to Isaac Marquand in New York City NY 1 • He was a partner from 1820 to 1828 with Josiah Penfield and Moses Eastman in Savannah GA as PENFIELD & Co. 4 • He was a partner from Jan 1820 to 1826 with Josiah Penfield in Savannah GA as J. PENFIELD & Co. • He was a partner from 1825 to 1830 with Isaac Marquand in New York City NY as MARQUAND & BROTHER. They continued at 166 Broadway with Isaac still listed in the city directory as a merchant and his son as a jeweler. • He was a partner from 1830 to 1833 with Isaac & Josiah Penfield Marquand and Erastus O. Tompkins in New York City NY as MARQUAND & BROTHERS. • He was a partner from 1833 to 1838 with Isaac & Henry Gurdon Marquand, Erastus O. Tompkins, William Black, and Henry Ball in New York City NY as MARQUAND & Co., with a new store at 181 Broadway. After the death of Isaac Marquand, Frederick and Josiah left the firm, which became BALL, BLACK & THOMPKINS. • Wine siphon, c 1860 Private Collection
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

jchernandez02
Enthusiast
I would like to thank you for your research I have tried and came up with a lot less than you did thank you so this piece could be a victorian piece? If anyone could help out more I would greatly appreciate it. I did post a link if you click on it you should be able to see a pic. of the locket itself. Please help with more information thank you for what you have given me so far jeanette p.s. the link I mentioned is in the original message that I posted thank you again.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

jchernandez02
Enthusiast
I tried to research this locket and all I could come up with is Finberg Manufacturing co. But you said that it was Fredirick Marquand So I am so confused because both have the hallmark F.M. co hallmark but two different companies and two different time periods. I thank you at least I have narrowed it down to two possibilities. Hope someone can contribute more information thank you so very much i am getting closer to finding out the age and money value of the piece.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Don't know if he made you item or not. He is American silversmith. Your piece could be from Europe but I couldn't find a similar mark . I wish I could be of more help. Lovely locket. Nancy
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

jchernandez02
Enthusiast
Thank you so much Nancy Yeah there is the finberg manufacturing co. They are the only other ones with the F.M.co mark so I am guessing it is one of the two. so I guess my search for answers are still on. My bracelet was easier to research than this locket lol thank you so much
Message 7 of 7
latest reply