cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Postal Regulatory Commission—the agency that oversees USPS shipping rate changes—is currently reviewing a proposal that could result in a significant increase to current rates in order to help cover institutional costs not related to package delivery.

We firmly believe this proposal would not only have a detrimental effect on eBay sellers, but all ecommerce sellers. And we invite you to join us in calling on the Postal Regulatory Commission to eliminate requirements that could force USPS to increase its prices for package delivery.

Sign our online petition before March 1 to make sure your name is included—and your voice is heard—when it’s presented to the Postal Regulatory Commission. To learn more, tune in to a special eBay Radio segment this Thursday, February 23, at 11:15am PT, as eBay government relations and shipping team members discuss the proposal in more detail.

We want you to know we’ll continue to advocate on your behalf on this and other issues that directly affect our community. As always, thanks for selling on eBay.

194 Comments

where do i sign at ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

no make any money now the coast is  ridiculous shipping really you want to  increase more .never get paid any insurance you sent somthing broke and open the claim  and you get later letter said no enough proof never pay very bad postal  customer service and now want again  increase prices really

I can't wait till Fedex drops thieir 1-3 pound rate to kick USPS completly out of my pocket..

USPS sorry service does not warrent any more rate increases...

When USPS looses/misplaces/destroys one of my packages I take all supporting paperwork to the Postmaster and tell  tem that they lost it they can fill the paperwork out....They make it hard so you will go away....NOT

They loose on average 2 pkg's monthly....

Their tracking is useless....

Cost of livin' high and going up -- Ronnie Dunn

Mercari, the selling app has a deal with usps so I know it can be done.  It's all flat rate without any special boxes needed. Ebay should step up to the plate and negotiate a deal with USPS.  Their deal has priority mail at its lowest rate possible.  

Every month I ask myself if this is all worth it? Some months it seems like I am paying ebay to give away a bunch of relly cool items. Some months it is good. But for way too long now ebay has been all about the buyer and does very little for the seller. Ebay should learn there are three sides to every sell, the buyer, the seller and the middle man ebay. All three sides have to win for this to continue to work.

If ebay would put as much effort in getting this right as they do to make sure my toy pistol is really a toy as it is advertised, then they might still be around in 10 years. 

One more cost going up, and it effects both the seller by losing sales and the buyer by not wanting to buy for the cost of what it is to ship the item. And on an item that I list for $2.75 ebay tells me I should offer FREE SHIPPING to get more sales. **bleep**? The cheapest I can ship a tracked itme for is $2.67 and they tell me to offer free shipping so I can sell it quicker? They really need to see what is happening out there, maybe even get some of the more seasoned sellers on their board to give them TRUE INSIGHT as to what is going on on ebay. The boardroom is NOT where the tire meets the pavement, it is in my office, your basement or your store, wherever YOU sell ebay from, that is where the TRUE INSIGHT is. 

Now ebay, time for action, or you will soon be an achievment of the past.

Ebay needs to stop charging fees on the postage this is hurting all sellers on ebay, we cannot continue to eat these costs and still do business.

Fees aren't stopping from going up Smiley Sad

This is so funny! Ebay just raised our selling fees...right around the same time. Yet they want us  to raise our voices to the Post Office?!?

ANd they still insist on charging us fees ON THE SHIPPING.

DOnt get me started on how they double dip through PayPal.

Thanks for starting this thread EBAY ADMIN!!!!

Ebay is trying to keep the rates low for us. Let's sign the petition and keep selling. When the going gets tough, . . . .

Well, first eBay has to get it's act straight, you let Chinese sellers violate your OWN policies when they're misrepresenting their item locations, stating the item is in US but items are being shipped from China, after repeated complaints over the phone and online, while every one of you are aware of this and everyone of you are promising that it will be taking care of in 24-72 hours and it has been more than 8-9 months that US sellers are complaining about this and nothis has been changed, and we are not talking about epacket, when they pay 14x less for the same postage that we are paying, if you can negotiate that with USPS you can negotiate for US sellers too, BLOOD SUCKERS, green is green right, no matter where is it coming from

Why would EBAY want to keep their shipping costs low??  Every time there is an increase, they get a raise in their commission since they get a percentage of postage each time sellers buy postage and print a label.  It gives EBAY a raise in "THEIR" profits.

How can I raise my voice to keep eBay fees low?  It seems hypocritical for eBay to make inciteful posts about USPS fee increases while at the same time jacking up their fees.

1)  VERY SIMPLE.......RATES UP......EBAY MAKES MORE

2)RATES ARE GOING UP WETHER WE LIKE IT OR NOT

3) WHEN YOU ARE THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN.......GUESS  WHAT ?

YEAH USPS IS HIGH ENOUGH AS IT IS,,I MEAN ANY HIGHER IS REDICOLOUS,IF THEY RAISE ANY HIGHER ,IM SWITCHING AND WILL NO LONGER USE THEM,BUT REALLY ALL SHIPPING IS JUST TO HIGH AS IS

ALSO IF THEY RAISE AND EBAY RAISES THERE RATES,IM GONNA RAISE MY SHIPPING AS WELL ,BECAUSE REGARDLESS SHIPPING SUPPLIES FOR A SELLAR ARE NOT FREE SO ON THE LARGER ITEMS THAT I DO NOT GIVE FREE SHIPPING OPTION I SET TO TRY TO MAKE AT LEAST FEW DOLLARS ON SHIPPING AS WELL ,I MEAN IF YOU DONT YOU LOSE MONEY

I am not sure Ebay sellers who offer free shipping understand math or really care if they make a profit at all.  Lot of work for a dollar profit or negative amount???? Once I sent an email to a person selling one of the same items as I was selling for way under costs with free shipping and asked them how they could do that and they replied that they were being charitable and giving away the things they bought.  Anyone doing that should really donate to Goodwill who actually employs people with their donations instead of hurting small business owners who are already working. Really hurts the small business owners who are trying to make a meer $2.00 for a 30 minute amount of work.  

USPS has been raising rates for years to recover retirement plans.  This is mandated by Congress.  Otherwise the USPS would have a large profit.

Also, the UPU (Universal Postal Union) became part of the United Nations several years ago.  The UPU was established to regulate international mail around 1894, yes 1894.

The UPU gives developing nations very low rates.  Develped nations like the USA must make up the difference in shipping costs.  China can sell on ebay with free shipping because developed nations must pay for the international shipping.  China is classified by the UN as a developing nation.

USPS raises rates because of administrative problems.  USPS is controlled by the government, but is self-funded.

HELLO!!! Ebay you take so much from us, I.E 9% of total sales and your Paypal division takes another 3-4%. Why do we pay you so much for you to do so little for us? You already gave the buyer 100% authority to screw the seller every way that you can think of. ( 100% buyer protection. That means we have to take the junk they send us back while they get to keep the actual item we sent them!) Do something for us besides collecting your 14-16% of our sales just to tell us to raise our voices! Tell the post office how much the Ebay seller does for their business! It's simple math.

This postage increase is ridiculous! Not to mention all the 1oz orders that are shipped First Class for  a cost of $2.61 because it comes with a tracking number. And now they want to increase the postage amount again. I'm done!  If you sell an item for $10 or less, by the time you subtract Ebays selling fees, postage cost for me (Because I offer free shipping), and Paypals little fee for the seller, there's only around 70% profit. And also, something eBay doesn't put out there that well is that your eBay sales are reported to the IRS when your sales go over $10,000. So, if you are like me and are over $100,000 in sales, you will have to add this amount to your yearly income taxes. Which in my case elevated me to a whole another tax level where I owe big time now. Basically I owe $22K in taxes for the $100K income increase. Now, add that tax cost to the other three cost from selling and you'll see that you are left with less than 50% profit from the total sales at the end of the year. 

Ebay is not going to do anything about it nothing !!!! We can talk about it but at the end of the day people keep posting and people keep buying so nothing with change, just eBay fees, shipping fees and PayPal fees will keep going up !!! That's the only thing that will change Trust Me !!!!!!

And the reason why we get charged on shipping 9% is so eBay can make up for the China loss on shipping that's 4 sure !!!! Ebay Stop making easy money on shipping fees that you don't got nothing to do with that's very sad and Super American Greed !!!!!!!!!!   

I love irony. Ebay telling us how bad a rate increase will by while at the same time raising seller fees.

Agreed, higher USPS shipping rates are making it impractical to sell lower priced items that are relatively heavy and bulky...such as large plastic kits etc. Recently USPS has started charging a hefty penalty for boxes with a dimension over 12". I recently switched to shipping larger inexpensive items via USPS Parcel Select (ground) service which is very competitive with UPS. I personally have found nothing to complain about with respect to Post Office Service....I have shipped thousands of quickly delivered packages over 15 years and never had to deal with a lost or damaged package. Complainers remember; Ebay began fees on shipping costs only when buyers began selling $20 items for $1 and charging $19 for shipping to escape paying nominal value-based Ebay seller fees!    

I understand that eBay started charging shipping fees also because of same sellers selling items for $1.00 and charging $20.00 for shipping to get over on eBay fees which is not right. But eBay should be able to have a system that tells them shipping cost automatically on the item that the seller is selling if they charge for shipping. It's not that hard to do. Make up a system and the eBay shipping fees should go away that simple !!!! Put me to work there and I'll fix the problems !!!  

Hight shipping cost less buy ! no body win !

A postage increasse, seller fee increase and a decrease in the top rated sellers discount.... oooo this should be good.

We currently pay more than we should with the recent increase. EBay needs to stand up for the sales community and give us not only a better discount but defray the costs.  No more increases! We are all struggling and customers think that we are charging too much! That also affects our feedback scores. 

Not Again.

My Overseas Buisness Which Was Once Thriving Is Now Almost Non-Existant Due To The Raising Rates

I Would Have To Quit Selling On E-Bay.

Thuthfully, as an Ebay seller, we charge amounts that are very tight margins. Any increase in prices may cause some Ebayers to stop doing business!

I went to USPS today to ship a package and the 13.8oz package(bag) cost me $13.59 to ship and I HAD to ship it P2 day, no choice because I wanted tracking. First class postage is now for packages less than13oz. beware increases have already been implimented!

Adam 

Maybe its time for a open source shiping alternative. Would someday like to see vaccum tube transporation across the country. It would significantly reduce shipping time and cost. Here is a good video about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZbDvL7yiPQ

Free shipping is never free. By charging a fee for shipping , Ebay is allowing sellers to pretend that this is true. If this fee were not charged on the total price and actual shipping charges were shown , people would see that that even the current USPS rates are ridiculous. This deceitful charge is one of the reasons that the carrier rates which are hidden are so high. If Ebay raised it's rate on the actual sale and made the shipping charges transparent rather than hiding it in the price more people would be upset with the shipping charged.

Hello,

Sorry, I'm just seeing this forum for the first time ever which is cool.

• Why do the Seller tweak the shipping cost?
  • Why do the Seller say free shipping when we know there is no such thing?

My opinion is shipping is a mess. The Buyer seeks free shipping.

*Go to any Post Office and see if they offer free shipping.

As a Seller, I will not calulate the shipping cost into my price I'm selling and say it's free. But I will add eBay's fee into my price. However, the items that I sell need to fit into the USPS boxes or envelopes that states the cost of the small, medium or large box or envelopes.

*I use this method for my used or unused products.

For my dropship products I use the shipping cost that the company provide. My method is: Stage a checkout before listing a product. My company dropship from zone 1 but using zone 8 which is further away balance the shipping cost. The difference is estimated about $2 and under. Besides I'm taking time out to post and etc. So, the change is my gain or tip.

NOTE: Canadian's can purchase a P.O. Box and can use the post office as a physical address to pick their packages up or mail packages out. This work also for individuals who can't be home to receive there packages.

I've tried every possible outcome and it's a won lose situation. I will stay consistent with my methods because I learn from my own experiences.

Well I didn't see the petition in time but I don't think that's where the big problem is. THINK ABOUT THIS:

E-bay has an algorithm to detect everything, but hasn't one to detect overcharges on postage. WHY:  Because they can make money charging ALL of us a 9% penalty of which also gives E-bay a built in raise everytime the postal rate has an increase.  This charge is a bigger rip-off than the post office. Perhaps we need to pick our battles more wisely! (9% for what?) The problem E-bay claims to have with sellers under-charging on the product and overcharging on shipping is an easy algorithem fix for E-bay.

I can't tell you how many sales I have been lost due to the high cost of shipping.  It is

costing Ebay sellers way too much out of our pockets to keep a store on Ebay...totally

frustrated!!!!  Ebay needs to step it up and help us out or they will be losing its sellers!!!

We need to know the truth. Why the postage is so expansive?

Here is some of it. I drive across the USA a lot, the smallest podunct towns have the fanciest building in town - the Post Office. Go inside and look at all the custom made cards pictures postage that promotes all kind of the latest things sports, women, race (I only purchase the standard Flag stamps). All of these expensive Items takes a huge department of designers, researchers and creators (a huge spend and make work scheme). The more money USPS spends the more they can scream that they need to stay in business.

I now pay $15.50 for a  first class package to Canada which is a three hour drive. Seems to me it was about 1/3 that price recently. My wife has bought small decorations from China for $1.50 with free shipping. Do we have a trade problem or is it just me ?

I'm through providing eBay Sellerwefare/Sellerextortion. . .but I will continue to USE eBay for shopping as a Buyer: no exposure, no expectations.

eBay owns PayPal? double the fees when you control each end of the transaction

How about I RAISE MY VOICE against the new eBay fee increase, double whammy first USPS now eBay fee's increase effective shorty 2017, how about that? what say you fleece bay? hmm nothing?? , [as usual].  I have all but moved my entire business away to Facebook , instagram, and a few others and now I'm only paying Paypal fee's, a very tender 2.9% + .30 per transaction, I invoice customers myself, and WITH discounted postage (no extra fee charged) I think ebay you will lose more base sellers and customers, with less fee's, we give better deals.. 😛

Feebay, I like itFeebay, I like it

Where is the article calling for sellers to raise their voices and unite in calling on eBay to lower fees instead of raise them every time??? My average item selling price is somewhere around $100-$150. That means between eBay and PayPal I end up paying $12-$15 in fees. That's often More than shipping costs often. I agree that with some better management and such the usps could probably offer better shipping rates but it's hard to beat priority rates for smaller items and shorter distances. 

Not a happy camper.  I have been on ebay a very long time.  The last two years I have been very successful however ebay makes it difficult to maintain that success.  Yes we do not actually receive postal discounts, I pay on ebay, what I pay direct at USPS (discount price is a lie).  I bust my a** everyday and have many happy customers but maintaining ebay standards is impossible when the post office sucks at what they do.  I have to stand in line every single day for 30 minutes to have them scan in my scan form and make sure they account for my packages for the day.  Not all of those packages update the same day which is starting to infringe on my top seller status.  Well since I see they are lowering the 20% discount to 10% screw all this hard work,  My customers receive their package within 2-3 days anyway and they I am being dinged for USPS errors.  I had complained before to ebay about usps errors and why does this have to effect me, their reply "well you hired them to do a job, if they can't do the job, go with fed-ex or ups"  um yeah sure for triple the cost.  So rather than fight a losing battle, I've worked hard enough, I am moving on to a bigger, better platform. I am also tired of all the scaming buyers who refuse to work with you.  I am pretty sure most of us sellers work very hard at what we do and there is just no recourse for liar buyers. Oh and ebay, we can't continue to increase our prices to compensate for increased rates or discount losses, buyers will not buy.  We've also lost most of our international buyers, why?  Many reasons,  customers from AU having to pay 14.00+, Canada having to pay 9.00+ and their exhange rate has increased.  It is just too many negatives to a seller. Established sellers should not have to deal with all this madness.  It takes a long time to get established all to have it just taken away because of greedy people. I just want to make a buck and keep it for Pete's sake.  

this all stems from the  DEMOCRATIC machine their goal to make sure everyone in the world has a fair shot before the AMERICAN people. call it what you want but it is the truth. how could I purchase a wallet on ebay for 3 bucks with free shipping. why does China get to send product for next to nothing. time for change people need to wake up. AMERICA FIRST SMALL BUSINESS FIRST AMERICAN BUSINESS FIRST.

Sometimes the USPO rates kill the sale as it can exceed the value of an item. Have quit mailing things I used to mail to someone as a humorous joke just for a laugh.

eBay already has a contact with usps and makes money off every shipping label we print . eBay needs to step in and help sellers stay in business 

Any updates on this ?

How about a petition for Top Rated sellers to continue to receive our earned 20% monthly discount off of our bill instread of slashng it in half to a measly 10% discount??  Where is the incentive there to retain TOP RATED???  Just saying....

Did the title of this story read, "Help Keep USPS Rates LOW..." ?

Hmmm...I must have the wrong decade. The last time I felt like I was getting 

any 'BARGAIN' from the USPS was back in 1983 or so. If they really wanted to make 

friends with the people who support their very existance, they'd ROLL BACK 

rates and FIND a WAY to make it WORK. That's what every single one of us HAS to DO 

when the cost of living or business jumps up and up. Oh well, it's still a dream I have.

I assume the increase is coming. Since the USPS is a non-profit business where on the web might one go to view detailed inventory of these "Institutional" expenses that is hike will help. 

How do people who manage and make decisions for a "break even" business do it? Good staffs, good pay, good benifits? It's common place for ex-politicians to offer consulting to these types of business at a huge retainer/fee/rate. Ever talk to an on duty postmaster? A fellow comic seller on Ebay tried to get the insurance payment and he had to talk to the postmaster. Quote "I'll I see is a 10 cent Funny book!. The seller tried to explain and the postmaster said "This is Asinine"  

I just had a buyer from Canada beg me not to use Global Shipping.  Ebay was charging them $47 for an 110z package that I sent 1st class to her for $13.50 AND she'll have it more quickly.  Talk about profits.....

I couldn't agree more, they keep raising the rates every year or two around the board, and we end up with less!

Didn't they just have an overall rate increase last year; and the year before that and twice the year before that, what's going on here?...

When the US Govt. ran the USPS, the rate increases were few & far between & were usually just the stamp rates, which in of themselves were bad enough, but with the USPS being privately managed and run, they seem to be getting away with "Highway Robbery" for a lack of better words.

(Who or what committee approves these so called needed increases? Doesn't anyone have the "brass" to stand up & say enough is enough?)

This is my signature of the petition...

Thanks

Higher rates....Its just pushing us one step closer to closing our doors.....Seems Ebay cries about everyone trying to raise rates on us and the government try to make online sellers collect taxes but never say a word about how they charge us 10% on the shipping costs

( Which we make no money on). Many buyers are only purchasing items of $25 or less and we must offer free shipping if we want to receive our top seller discount..Many of the other selling platforms out their only give free shipping on purchases above $35 / $50 ...These days it seems we are working to pay everyone but ourselves......Higher rates +more fees + less sales = closing up shop soon.

Seems shipping is hurting many thats why the rush is on to perfect drone delivery...