cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

refusing to take questions from buyers

I have run across this

We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of messages this seller receives, they are unable to respond to your specific question right now. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing.

can sellers refuse to answer questions about items?  Does this not set you up for returns and problems?

~paintdrips

~paintdrips
Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

@paintdrips wrote:

1.  can sellers refuse to answer questions about items? 

2.  Does this not set you up for returns and problems?

1.  Yes

2.  Yes

For some really large & busy sellers (thousands or tens of thousands of listings and hundreds or thousands of sales per week) it probably makes financial sense - better to refund and take any feedback hits than to hire 1 or 3 staff to handle questions.

For a single seller who is doing as much as possible to list, sell, pack, ship, etc. and has pretty much zero spare time, it may make sense.

For most of us, it is a really stupid idea.

Newt
“Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country and giving it to the rich people of a poor country”. Ron Paul
Message 2 of 28
latest reply

I've run across several sellers who's claims on their items are suspect, misleading, made up, or downright false.

They always seem like the ones who never answer direct questions.

If a seller won't talk to you......buy from someone who will !

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 3 of 28
latest reply

Great advice Komo!!!!!!!!!

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

ahhh, Rem.....yer makin' me blush !
Hahaha!!!!!

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

@paintdrips wrote:

I have run across this

We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of messages this seller receives, they are unable to respond to your specific question right now. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing.

can sellers refuse to answer questions about items?  Does this not set you up for returns and problems?

~paintdrips

any seller can refuse to answer questions - for whatever reason they want.

your seller is obviously a high volume seller - probably selling hundreds of items a day - can couldn't possibly take time to answer questions.

others refuse to answer questions because the information wanted is already stated in the listing.  people don't read 1/3 of the listing information.  this is why I don't answer questions (depending on item) or just send a quick reply that answer is in listing info.

so before you jump to conclusions about shady sellers not wanting to disclose info via the ASQ, there are legitimate reasons.

again, if you don't like this, then you are free to hit your back button or purchase from another seller.

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

Fab writes.....

"people don't read 1/3 of the listing information.  this is why I don't answer questions"

Komo Writes...

I posted my experiance .

You on the other hand are jumping to conclusions with a generalisation that you can't back up with facts.....unless of course you've done an exaustive survey .....in which case I'd like to see those numbers !!

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

I think it's in a seller's best interest to answer any and all questions pertaining to the sale which have not been covered in the ad (with the exception of price weaseling).

I sell some here, I buy A LOT here....MANY sellers think a single photo with no description constitutes a well placed ad.  If a seller is too busy to answer a question...they are also to busy to receive money from me.  Have OFTEN paid more to another seller when one would not answer a simple question. 

lithium.jpg

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

I have as much trouble getting the seller that do allow questions to respond. Last week I sent questions to two sellers.One had no measurements for a blouse and one only had one picture of the item,yet said in the listing if you want to see more pics just ask.

First buyers should not have to ask to see more pictures.Ebay gives 12 free pictures for each listing.Don't make buyers have to request more,but for once I did and---nothing,not from either seller. I can not understand why they do not realize they lose sales by not responding to legitimate questions especially about information that should be in the listing to begin with.

Glitch,Glitch,Glitch!!!
Message 9 of 28
latest reply

yes...and many of the sellers are not small mom&pop but huge businesses so they don't provide the 1on1 service...

They instead place all info they can in the listing and those interested in buying deal with it.
My suggestion is move on to aseller who has time to please their customers with real service and not just take their money!!

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

I think they are too NEW to figure out their Inbox?

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

My Husband & myself have this arguement constantly on how to handle certian questions either DUMB or NORMAL.

He tells me I should ignore and not to answer DUMB questions...and to answer ones about the item function or size.

The ones I hate, but cant help reply = 

LOW BALL OFFERS  --   I reply this is not a flea market 🙂 it is an auction if you want to make an offer it is always for more than opening bid.

DON"T LIKE SHIPPING PRICE  -  I reply you ship it to me for the price you want to pay !

I will work with someone that lives in a close state and refund balance if it is less.  Unfortunatly I have no idea if the winning buyer is in California or my state that is why I use Flat rate on most items.

HEY I MISSED YOUR AUCTION END  - Really? it was on for 7 days why did you wait and not throw a bid on it you would have won it as the only bidder.

WHEN THEY ASK FOR INFO THAT IS ALREADY IN THE DESCRIPTION  - This one drives me absoulutly bonkers

I LIVE IN SIBERIA or some hell hole. I AM GOOD STANDING EBAY BUYER in broken english.. YOU SHIP TO ME? HOW MUCH IT COSTS?

If you really want the item shipped overseas why are you your worried about cost.

OH BOY I CAN't Wait to hear from the BUYER sympathizers on this board that love to RIP your SELLERS technics  (its allways the same board part time dwellers) bring it on!

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

Good morning She-Sells. While we wait for the buyer sympathizers I'll chime in!

1. You left out one thing, add the "Yankee Trader" to your BBL! If they are willing to violate eBay policy (It is against eBay policy to "make an offer" if seller has not added it to the auction.) before they buy imagine the issues after!

2. S&H charges are a touchy subject for both buyers and sellers, I subscribe to the "Total Cost" thought process. I just received a delivery that I paid a Flat Rate charge of $14.50 for Standard Post, it arrived with insurance, upgrade to Priority with DC bought at the PO for a total of $10.05..... I gave them a 5 on S&H DSR Star because I thought the "Total Price" ($23.45 + $14.50=$37.95) was below what I wanted to pay.

3. I've used that one myself! I then throw a lowball offer to see what happens!

4. I'm guilty of that. I have to say if a seller is going to reply, do so as if the info is not there and in a business like manner. The one answer that sticks out in my mind was a snarky one about my inability to read.

5. I rarely get these and I never respond as I have all the blocks in place.> http://community.ebay.com/t5/Part-time-eBay-Sellers/How-To-Prevent-International-Sales-Part-Deux/m-p...

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 13 of 28
latest reply

@she-sells wrote:

DON"T LIKE SHIPPING PRICE  -  I reply you ship it to me for the price you want to pay !

I will work with someone that lives in a close state and refund balance if it is less.  Unfortunatly I have no idea if the winning buyer is in California or my state that is why I use Flat rate on most items.

Certainly not trying to rip your techniques, just a suggestion, do with it what you will - if you're using Flat Rate (vice calculated shipping) - why not just bump up your start price by that amount, and offer Free Shipping?

You'll get a bonus in Best Match, no change in a sort by cost, and an automatic 5-stars on your S&H, and no silly emails complaining about the shipping . . . there's absolutely no downside that I can see.

"Don't close your eyes! They can still hit you with your eyes closed!" - my son's Karate Sensei 😄
Message 14 of 28
latest reply

@bluemountainretailers wrote:

there's absolutely no downside that I can see.

Rose colored glasses

Good morning BMR!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 15 of 28
latest reply