cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Building A Better Community" Board Now Open!

A post from Karen, the new Director of Community:

Hi all,

We’re reimagining the online Community experience at eBay and we can’t do this without you. Over the next several weeks we’ll post updates, questions and ideas right here  - in an effort to get your input on what you would like the new Community online experience to include.

To make sure we capture all of your ideas, thoughts and comments over the next few weeks and beyond - you’ll notice a few new faces online. For example, alan@ebay is joining Griff, myself and the eBay Community team as our dedicated Community Manager. After over 3 years on the boards in Dublin, Ireland, Alan is joining us at eBay headquarters in San Jose, CA. Welcome alan@ebay!

At its core, eBay is a place to sell, buy, connect, and learn - but most importantly - eBay is a place to belong.  And, our online Community plays a big part in making that happen. Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts as we build the best Community experience together.

The eBay Community Team

Unfortunately, the only way to "find" this new board is through the main Community page and then the notice is only included in the "scrolling headlines info" at the top of the page.

Here is the link for quick access....share your thoughts and opinions, but, imo, it should be "Community" related and not about eBay problems in general...and FYI, for those who remember, bostongrammy posted!

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Building-A-Better-Online/Building-a-better-online-Community/m-p/2587944...

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 1 of 195
latest reply
194 REPLIES 194

No link but this item title is innocuous enough to keep me from getting a mod slap and still direct interested parties through a Google search:

The Original Rapid Fire Triple Evil Stick (Ouch! X 3)

·•❖•· the wolf you feed wins ·•❖•·
Message 46 of 195
latest reply

@hidy-hoo wrote:

"This is where those blue men hang out Smiley Happy"

It's definitely where the blue paw licking cat hangs out in front of the fireplace"

This is the guy that owns the blue men house and the cat and eats Blue Bunny Ice Cream:

OK....all done and feeling in the pink again!

The guy needed a cup...........................just sayin'  Smiley LOL

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Message 47 of 195
latest reply

And a push up bra. 😛

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 48 of 195
latest reply

that too...........................and I want the shoes..........

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Message 49 of 195
latest reply

Hey shirls, I called dibs on those shoes, but we can trade every other weekend. 😛

Message 50 of 195
latest reply

What are you all going to do with those. Looks like only a 1/4th tbsp.
No, those are the old cell phone holders.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 51 of 195
latest reply

OK neighbor, I think we can work that one out.

Message 52 of 195
latest reply

hmmmmm ~ interesting tidbit just posted on the New Community Board!  I know what I would like it to mean, but considering eBay's double speak, it is probably up for interpretation ~ what say you?

snip from post #428:  http://community.ebay.com/t5/Building-A-Better-Online/Building-a-better-online-Community/m-p/2591478...

All in all, I don't believe a thing being told to us up to this point. One last thing and I'm not sure how many others here may already have heard or seen it. At the eBay OPEN in Vegas this announcement was supposedly made and then posted by Karen in one of the FB groups. A member in that group forwarded the snippet to me. You should be able to click the image so it'll open in a new window for easier viewing.

Community all welcome back.PNG

Message 53 of 195
latest reply

I was really afraid of that, some people were banned unfairly but that doesn't mean everyone was. Sigh.

I don't think the new rules of engagement have anything to do with us being nicey nicey to each other, but nicey nicey on how we present eBay to people who come here with problems.

"Hello OP, I'm sorry to read about your less than positive experience on eBay. We want you to know what a valued member you are to the community.

Here are the eBay help pages related to issue Z. I hope this helps.

Julia
eBay Fiction Department of the Ministry of Truth

Message 54 of 195
latest reply

Savanna, in most cases, it has been more than a year ~ and sometimes 2 years, since most of the "prolific" posters were banned, so I am guessing that they have moved on and have little to no interest in returning to what once was the eBay Community!

Message 55 of 195
latest reply

On the topic of being banned:

I just sent our new community manager a message. A nice, honest and lacking sarcasm note with a few helpful suggestions on how to respond based on this weeks chat. Now I know I'm not part of the cool posters club, so what comes back on me shouldn't stigmatize anyone else. Didn't tell him how to do his job or what the community should be like, simply put in simple terms the issues he's up against. Honestly, I'm a win-win kind of guy. One of the issues I pointed out was the absent response to dhbookds post #34 (thank you hidy for bringing it to our attention).

Before I go any further, is it against the rules to post the content of a private message here?

Disclaimer: Statements may contain satire and sarcasm and should be considered nothing more than an attempt at humor. Any useful information is purely coincidence.
Message 56 of 195
latest reply

@hidy-hoo wrote:

Savanna, in most cases, it has been more than a year ~ and sometimes 2 years, since most of the "prolific" posters were banned, so I am guessing that they have moved on and have little to no interest in returning to what once was the eBay Community!

I'll take hidy's opinion a step further... if honda, komo and oma came back and saw

what the Community has become, especially how the PT Group has been hidden

under the floor boards... I fear they would ban themselves somewhat immediately.

I have noticed the mods have been very scarce, as of late... is that a hint of things to come,

or have they hit the required quota for the culling of the more opinionated in our Community.

Message 57 of 195
latest reply

BD, I wouldn't expect this to continue "I have noticed the mods have been very scarce" I think law and order has come to town.

pskaudio, no we can't post private messages verbatim. Posting the gist of something should be fine.

Message 58 of 195
latest reply

I'm making a prediction based on human behavior:

We're not going to see booting of posters or the not-so-nice remarks this Jeff guy everyone speaks of. Looking at the UK boards again, they haven't been sanitized as much as they appear to be a clique. By ignoring some himself and forming groups of others to do the same, Alan is going to be the "Big guy on campus". He completely misunderstood my intent with the message, took it as a criticism and responded in a defensive, judgemental manner. Either this, or he has no idea how to talk to people in person.

The one phrase that everyone should pick up on: "I do have my own view on how a community should be looked after..."

That's his perspective on us, we want to be "looked after".

It's not that he sees us as children, he sees us as those of a lesser social standing in the community. Most likely the child of wealthy or prominent parents. Oh boy do I know this type and their weaknesses.

See you next week at the chat. Gonna be fun.

Disclaimer: Statements may contain satire and sarcasm and should be considered nothing more than an attempt at humor. Any useful information is purely coincidence.
Message 59 of 195
latest reply

Hi @pskaudio I don't know if you remember a post I made to the official Building a Better Community thread, but it had to do not wanting or needing posters (paid or appointed) to guide the conversations to get a certain outcome? (paraphrased) I think that's the direction we're headed, with a few select posters chosen to toute the company line.

Also, it is already been mentioned on the other thread that my post in chat was edited (without comment) and the link removed. I think everyone needs to be prepared for chat to be considered a public message board open to moderation by Lithium, until we are told otherwise.

Message 60 of 195
latest reply