cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you all use for packaging tape?

Just curious, but I've noticed that the nicer, heavy-duty packing tape seems to have gone up a bunch.  For most of my small items I just use the cheap stuff from Duck, but I used to be able to buy 3M tape in bulk for about what the cheap stuff costs these days.  Is there ANYwhere that you can get 100 yard (or 109 yard, or whatever the standard is now) length, in heavy duty tape for around $2.50 a roll without having to buy 100 rolls at a time?

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

I haven’t had to buy an lately. I bought 24 big rolls years ago and I still have some left. I’m guessing I got them from threeb here on eBay. Don’t know if they are still around or not.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 2 of 29
latest reply

My PO must love me.  When I run out I just ask them for a roll and they give me a Priority Mail roll of tape.  But I only ask when I'm dropping off a boat load of packages and there's nobody else in line.  

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

That stuff has been discontinued for a while now by the postal service, my PO no longer has it.
Message 4 of 29
latest reply

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:
I haven’t had to buy an lately. I bought 24 big rolls years ago and I still have some left. I’m guessing I got them from threeb here on eBay. Don’t know if they are still around or not.

I took a chance on some this evening that will either be EPIC win or fail, I'm not sure which yet.  Seller is in China, but I buy a lot of stuff from there, so that doesn't necessarily worry me (although most of my buying from China is stuff that I'm ordering from established parts machine shops and made to my spec).  It's 2 mil. thick, so it's pretty heavy-duty.  36 rolls for 8 dollars shipped.  If it's any good at all, I'm WAY ahead of buying it anywhere else I've seen.  I forget the brand, but I looked and the same brand is being sold on Amazon with halfway decent reviews, so we will see.  It's not like I wasted a lot of money if it's not that great...LOL.  These are also 110 yard rolls, the big rolls, twice as much on a roll as the standard Duck brand stuff.  So, that's a LOT of tape on the cheap if it's decent.  That said, I guess it's also gonna be a LOT of tape on the cheap if it isn't any good, too, LOL.

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

I've been using the Ebay tape I get using my store coupon and I've had good luck with it.

It seems like pretty decent tape for the price I pay for it.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 29
latest reply

What is this "ebay tape"?  I was not aware there even is such a thing?  To be fair, though, if it advertises eBay, I probably wouldn't use it as the majority of my sales lately have been elsewhere rather than here. 

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

Hmmm, the seller I bought the tape from was kicked off ebay and their listings removed.  I have no option to cancel the transaction, as the seller posted a tracking number, although it doesn't show as having arrived at a shipping station yet, but eBay considers it a shipped item.  I guess now, my only choice is to wait.  This seller had a lot of good feedback, but quite a bit of bad feedback too, so I was taking a bit of a chance, but it's not like I was dropping a lot of money on this.  Maybe it will show up in tracking in a day or two, although at this point, I kind of doubt it. 

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

eBay tape may work for taping the flaps, but as it has the eBay logo other tape is needed for labels.

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

@theguitarpartsguy wrote:
That stuff has been discontinued for a while now by the postal service, my PO no longer has it.

Last I knew it was still available for USPS internal use, but no longer given out to the public.  Years back before it changed from the darker logo to the now lots of white on it style Post Offices were directed to no longer give it out. It used to be available to order at USPS  dot com.  Now you can just order the stickers.

Post offices were also directed to stop handing over the Office roll of clear tape when a customer wanted to tape up their box. Direction was to give only one strip of tape for the final sealing of a package. Clerks were to direct them to the "retail display" where tape was sold if they needed more than one strip of tape.

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

eBay tape may work for taping the flaps, but as it has the eBay logo other tape is needed for labels.

Works good for attaching the shipping labels also.

Have a great day
Message 11 of 29
latest reply

Until I started buying 36 rolls at a time, I was buying the 4 packs at Wally. A bit over $2 a roll at the time. Not sure how much it has gone up.

the  36 rolls were under a $ each.  Not as good as the 4pk from Wally, but OK.

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

@theguitarpartsguy wrote:

What is this "ebay tape"?  I was not aware there even is such a thing?  To be fair, though, if it advertises eBay, I probably wouldn't use it as the majority of my sales lately have been elsewhere rather than here. 

They have some tape available with their shipping supplies.

It does say Ebay on it.

Have a great day
Message 13 of 29
latest reply

Yeah, I found it. Even the eBay "clear" tape has eBay logos on it. I can't use that stuff, I need clear tape. I reckon by "cheap buy" I made isn't likely to show up at this point. I guess I'll look around some more.
Message 14 of 29
latest reply

OK, was not aware that it was clear.

Message 15 of 29
latest reply