cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Fees Went from 2% to 12% PLUS $12 transfer fee

Seller be aware -- just got hit with a 12% eBay payment transaction fee from 2% I was paying PayPal, PLUS $12.00 to transfer the money to my bank account... what the hell????  Time to move to Walmart

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I was finally forced this week to make the change to using my bank account... I did it against my better judgment, but I'm likely not here for all that much longer anyway, I'm thinking.  Has anyone else had a transaction fee as high as the OP's here?  That's outrageous, you can buy your own credit card processing machine and get 1.69% if you look around a little....12% is literally being robbed.  

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Hmm, I guess I'll find out about the transaction fee percentage, I sold a couple of guitar parts over the last couple of days.  If I get charged 12% I will call and unload on someone....

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@pro-laundry-equipment 

My fees (no store) in MP are 12.55% of the entire buyer payment, + $0.30 transaction fee.

MY fee before MP was 10% to eBay.  A fee of 2.9%  + $0.30 was paid to PP

In over 20 months in MP I have never had to pay a fee to have my "payout" transferred to my attached checking account.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@theguitarpartsguy wrote:

Hmm, I guess I'll find out about the transaction fee percentage, I sold a couple of guitar parts over the last couple of days.  If I get charged 12% I will call and unload on someone....

Fees are clearly listed. I do not suspect that you will have any surprises.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

You're correct, my fees are about the same as before, no raise than I can tell.   Might be a very slight difference one way or the other, but without taking a calculator to the numbers, it's not enough that I can tell otherwise.  Good to know.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@pro-laundry-equipment, you misunderstand what fees you were paying before, and what you're paying now.

As others have already posted, the PayPal fee used to be 2.9% plus $0.30 per transaction, but that only covered the cost for processing the payment. In addition, you also paid the eBay FVF of 10% (in most categories; now raised to 10.2%) plus any other voluntary fees (listing fees, store subscription, upgrade fees, promotion fees). So that was a total of 12.9% plus $0.30 for each transaction.

Now with Managed Payments, most categories pay eBay FVF of 12.35%, but that includes the cost for processing the payment, so that's the total (unless you incur the voluntary fees). 

If you had to pay a fee to transfer the payment to your bank, that was probably a fee FROM your bank, so you might not have a suitable account for receiving business payments. Do they put a limit on how many transfers you can have with that account? You can minimize the number of transfers from eBay by choosing weekly payouts, if that's an issue.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@theguitarpartsguy wrote:

You're correct, my fees are about the same as before, no raise than I can tell.   Might be a very slight difference one way or the other, but without taking a calculator to the numbers, it's not enough that I can tell otherwise.  Good to know.

It depends on how much sales tax is on the transaction ... which is determined by the buyer's state.

The break-even point is about 6% sales tax. In the main categories with FVF of 12.35%, if the sales tax is less than 6%, your overall fees will be a little less. More than 6%, they will be a little more. So, it's pretty much a wash. I suspect that 6% is the average amount for sales tax in the USA.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

There better not be a transfer fee.  Why are the shipping costs not being taken from the payment account?

The shipping is being taken out of paypal.   What a pain, if I will have to transfer money to paypal just for shipping. 

I loved the money going to paypal, it was my splurging account.  Now, that it's going into my checking, it not fun anymore.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@thingsforyourotherhouse wrote:

There better not be a transfer fee.  Why are the shipping costs not being taken from the payment account?

The shipping is being taken out of paypal.   What a pain, if I will have to transfer money to paypal just for shipping. 

I loved the money going to paypal, it was my splurging account.  Now, that it's going into my checking, it not fun anymore.

Shipping, for me in MP, can be from PP, or from the buyer payment before "payout".

On the label page scroll down, and look on the left side  to see if it give you the option to choose the payment source.

If you miss the PP fun just send the money from the "payouts" being sent to your checking on over to PP, and continue to splurge to your hearts content😊

Message 10 of 10
latest reply