cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE: Sellers Permit

Do I really need a Sellers Permit if I am only selling Part Time on eBay as an Individual Seller?  I didn't even sell close to $600 this past year. Too many family obligations to have an eBay Store or selling a lot online. 

Last year when I contacted Office of Control San Diego Office, they had me pay for a Sellers Permit and made me pay fees selling items from my home address.   I'm not going to do that this year, because I don't plan to sell over $600 in sales. Should I renew my Sellers Permit just in case I go over the limit in sales? 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Can you explain what a "Sellers Permit" and exactly who told you that you had to have one to sell on eBay?

On eBay, a seller pays final value fees when he sells an item.  That's not what you're talking about, is it? 

When you seem to connect this permit with having over $600 in sales, are you referring to the information eBay requires of all sellers like bank account info, SS number etc.  ALL sellers have to provide that information regardless of how much they sell.  

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@linaprince wrote:

Do I really need a Sellers Permit if I am only selling Part Time on eBay as an Individual Seller?  I didn't even sell close to $600 this past year. Too many family obligations to have an eBay Store or selling a lot online. 

Last year when I contacted Office of Control San Diego Office, they had me pay for a Sellers Permit and made me pay fees selling items from my home address.   I'm not going to do that this year, because I don't plan to sell over $600 in sales. Should I renew my Sellers Permit just in case I go over the limit in sales? 

Were you selling items on marketplace and people were coming to pick the items up at your house? A permit to sell, to my knowledge, is something local that some locations require if you are doing "business activities" in residential areas. Office of Control?  Is that like code enforcement of some sort? That sounds like a neighbor turned you in for something and you were required to get some kind of permit. You do not have to be a registered business to sell online whether you sell $600 or $600,000 a year 1099 or not.

"I'm for truth no matter who tells it. I'm for JUSTICE no matter who it is for or against." - Malcolm X
"Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in periods of moral crisis maintain their neutrality." - JOHN F. KENNEDY
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

MOST STATES REQUIRE A SELLER PERMIT for the kind of activity in which we participate.  Even most cities require one to pay for a permit even to have a Garage Sale.  Why?  Because that is the rule they made and the citizens voted upon (usually via city council or state legislature) up to help pay for running the city and state.  By the way, it is not the best idea to ask for legal advice in such a forum.  Call your State Comptroller.  I don't know about your state, but in Texas the resale certificate permit is free.  BUT, don't forget to report your sales collection on time - Jan 22 in Texas - or you will incur penalties.  Since eBay pays FOR you, the amount you report is ZERO but you still need to report it.  $50 fine in Texas for non-compliance if you forget to report, even if the taxes you actually collect is zero.  Here is a link I found:  https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/does-my-business-need-a-sellers-permit?utm_source=google&utm_medi..._LLC/BL_|_Broad&utm_campaignID=1758159088&utm_adgroupID=119841105547&utm_partner=googlesearch&gclid=Cj0KCQiAn4SeBhCwARIsANeF9DJH3kjjm_JCzCEJ4y3oqwMgWIObA-lUFkugF8oJNA2F2nCJHmguTMoaArXSEALw_wcB

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Incorrect,  anything you sell that stays within your state, that state wants its cut.  In most states, that reseller permit will allow you to ask at thrift stores and estate sales for the sale to be tax exempt.  That makes them your wholesaler because then the onus fall upon you (via eBay) to collect the tax.  Call your State's Comptroller and just tell them that you are considering starting an online intranational selling business using eBay and that some of your sales might stay within your State.  Ask them about Reselling Permits and your tax reporting responsibilities.  They will give you the correct information and your current business model won't be compromised because you have not given them any information. 
https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/does-my-business-need-a-sellers-permit?utm_source=google&utm_medi..._LLC/BL_|_Broad&utm_campaignID=1758159088&utm_adgroupID=119841105547&utm_partner=googlesearch&gclid=Cj0KCQiAn4SeBhCwARIsANeF9DJH3kjjm_JCzCEJ4y3oqwMgWIObA-lUFkugF8oJNA2F2nCJHmguTMoaArXSEALw_wcB

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Yes I know as i have a registered business in texas llc. OP mentioned sales out of home which I assumed meant she was was doing some kind of selling activity locally in which she was required to collect state tax and report. If OP isn’t registered as a business, sole proprietor or otherwise, a permit is a moot point. Either way a permit is not required to sell on eBay.

"I'm for truth no matter who tells it. I'm for JUSTICE no matter who it is for or against." - Malcolm X
"Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in periods of moral crisis maintain their neutrality." - JOHN F. KENNEDY
Message 7 of 7
latest reply